Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 AM

Default Avid MTRX studio working with bi-amp speakers

I can’t find this information anywhere although it seems that many users may use a similar setup.
My question is how can I benefit from SPQ applying EQ to physical outputs if I want them to have crossover for low and hi and output each on its own channel. How MTRX holds this task? Can it group i.e ch1/ch2 as the Left or Center or Right, then apply crossover and then EQ it as a corresponding channel.
I don’t have yet MTRX studio, but I would like to know how I could do this so I could ditch my hardware crossovers (QSC DCM10D).

Another question: if I’d use MOM controller, could I still use my DCommand for controlling PT (with no monitor section of course) or there are some known issues with using Icon and dadman protocols together? I don’t intend to work with Eucon yet.
Thanks in advance!

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 08-01-2020, 03:38 PM
Avid

Default Re: Avid MTRX studio working with bi-amp speakers

You could, but you would need to be exceptionally careful as there is no protection built in were you to send low frequency to a tweeter - that would probably be bad!

There are folks who have done it meticulously, however I have never recommended it based on the potential for blowing up speakers. I’ll certainly defer to NTP if they think it’s perfectly fine.

Regarding MOM - no issues since it doesn’t rely on EUCON.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Avid MTRX studio working with bi-amp speakers

Thank you Jeff.

You are very right about the precautions regarding putting tweeters at risk.
So would you recommend to go analog out of MTRX into the DCM 10D Analog in (for crossover only) and stay on the safe side?
I am not sure but it seems that the DCM 10D does AD and then DA, so I'll lose the purity of the MTRX converters...
I am still wondering how folks connect MTRX to the Bi-Amp system? Or what is the best way of doing so according to the Avid approach?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24