Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 PM

Default MIDI Timing PT 7.4 LE - Anyone having problems?

Are you experiencing TIMING issues with MIDI playback in Pro Tools 7.4LE?

I've seen posts on some other forums, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen any posts about this on DUC.

The Problem is with incorrect timing of MIDI playback.

At first, I noticed it on one session that had a rigidly quantized synth part - the MIDI was playing back almost as though it wasn't quantized at all. There were all sort of fluctuations in the timing that should not be happening.

So I requantized at various resolutions, step-entered notes, etc. The problem persisted in each case.

I tested the problem further by loading several other sessions that had MIDI tracks and - sure enough - the playback timing on all of them is slightly off.

Finally I tested by creating Reason Matrix Sequences (absolutely quantized) and exported/imported them into Pro Tools as SMF. Same problem.

I should note that the correct values are displayed in the EVENT LIST, MIDI EDITOR in PT, but the playback is not accurately playing as it would be expected by the data in the EVENT LIST/EDITOR.

And besides that - it was what I HEARD that alerted me to the problem in the first place. I created the MIDI programming on all of the tested sessions and I know what it's supposed to sound like.

Another NOTE: The MIDI is triggering Virtual Instruments, not traveling out to hardware, etc.

So, I've tested and recreated the problem consistently. Something is definitely wrong. I've been using PT for MIDI since PT 6.0 - I'm used to how its MIDI works/"sounds". This issue seems to be related to Version 7.4.

At the end of all my testing and troubleshooting, I can no longer rely on PT 7.4LE for MIDI and am glancing over at my Digital Performer box thinking it might have to come to the rescue. But I hope not. I really hoping that perhaps 7.4cs3 will come out tomorrow and resolve this.

Either way - I welcome feedback and am curious what you're experience is with MIDI Timing in 7.4 - good or bad.

Digi?
Anyone else?

Thanks for reading and in advance for any responses.

Pro Tools 7.4 (and now 7.4 cs2)
OSX 10.4.8
iMac G5 PPC 2.1 Ghz
1.5G RAM
002 RACK

Tested with
XPAND
TRILOGY
Reason
Structure Free
Ivory

PS: Happy New Year Everyone.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Re: MIDI Timing PT 7.4 LE - Anyone having problems?

I have exactly the same problem since iŽve updated to PT LE7.4. And i've notice that some other members of this forum have reported this problem. But, so far, there's no solution given. Any help?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:39 PM

While in Pro Tools 7.4 cs2, I was playing my Alesis D4 with an Akai MPD 16 connected via USB to the Mac. I was using the 003R's midi outs to the Alesis D4. I noticed a slight delay from when I tap the MPD16 pads to when I hear the sounds. It sounded like a pretty good soft snyth. I then switched my midi interface to the Midisport 4x4, instead of the 003R's midi ports, and the timing was solid. It seems my midi lag is being cause the 003R. I never noticed a midi lag with Pro Tools 7.3. Weird.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 AM

I've got the exact same thing.
It all worked seamless in 7.3
In came 7.4 and it all was an OS 9 style mess!

Help! HEEEEEELLLP!!!!

JB
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Since my original post I've reverted back to PT LE 7.1 which is the last very reliable version - in my experience. (7.3 had some quirky Quantize issues too and Nudging issues. Those problems went away in 7.4 but...Well - that's why I'm all the way back to 7.1)

All of the MIDI Tracks/Session that were playing back "messed-up" in 7.4 are now playing back perfectly in 7.1.

Hopefully there will be a CS update for 7.4 soon that will make it possible for us to use MIDI reliably.

If anyone else is experiencing issues like the ones described in this thread - please take the time to write a quick post. Maybe an active DUC thread will spur Digi on to look into it - if they haven't already.

Chris

www.protools.ca
North Vancouver, Canada
Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 AM

I'm running 7.3 and having grief with getting MIDI-synced stuff, like Synchronic and tempo-matched effects in Hybrid to remain locked. Synchronic being the main frustration right now, particularly when bouncing to disk, where it drags right behind.

Of course, I shouldn't be running the internet in the background, but still, running only 1/2 the CPU on a Mac Book Pro in the meantime.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Avid

Donkey Kong - how were you verifying that MIDI was off, exactly? Did you record it to a new track?

I'm asking because I just tested this by creating a bunch of tracks with 16th notes, routing them to Xpand drum sounds, recording them to new audio tracks and comparing the MIDI note timing to that of the audio. I did not see any problems, nor did it sound like anything was 'off'.

Did you try trashing prefs, including these MIDI related prefs?

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:42 AM

IŽll try to trash all midi related prefs and try again. But i think that, as i could read in this DUC and in other foruns, this is a real issue to PT 7.4 users that do a lot of midi sequencing (like myself). So, i think iŽll be back to PT 7.1 and maybee iŽll try DP5, because iŽm delaying all my work. Is Digidesign thinking in solving this problem in the next CS as soon as possible? It would be very helpfull.
Thanks
MP
Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Avid

Quote:
IŽll try to trash all midi related prefs and try again. But i think that, as i could read in this DUC and in other foruns, this is a real issue to PT 7.4 users that do a lot of midi sequencing (like myself). So, i think iŽll be back to PT 7.1 and maybee iŽll try DP5, because iŽm delaying all my work. Is Digidesign thinking in solving this problem in the next CS as soon as possible? It would be very helpfull.
Thanks
MP
Well, first we have to identfy exactly what the problem is. So far we have reports of MIDI timing being 'off', but nothing as far as methodology or repeatability, nor does it seem to be universal. I tested MIDI timing and couldn't find any problems - but that's not to say there isn't any, I just don't have enough info to be able to determine where the problems lie.

If you can supply some reproducible steps, or some way for us to identify the problem, it would help immensely.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM

hey ,im having the same problem as the rest of you guys!! im running 7.4 on g5 ppc and the software im using is stylus rmx..... when i drag and drop a midi file from the stylus browser window onto the pro tools midi track things go pear shaped the track is playing back out of time,it plays fine from the stylus audition window...ive tried everything bar going back to 7.3

let me know if you need anymore info...this is a bit of a disaster