Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: ICON Faders - People\'s experience please

D-command

finger lickin' bad
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM

3 Dcommands here. One with really really bad fighting faders, one now starting the same nonsense and new 3rd desk is on 7.4, waiting to see if it will behave well. I agree with everyone thats says this is pathetic, these desks are very, very expensive!!!! I would like to invite digidesign to sit with me (and a busy high paying client) and explain to them why this happens. There is only so many times you can use this as an excuse for sharp increases in level before he (the client) thinks you are an incapable mixer.
Might seem trivial to some people, but this cheapens the whole ICON adventure.
Work
MacPro Dual Intel
Pro Tools HD Accel 1
Version 7.3
D Command
Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
3 Dcommands here. One with really really bad fighting faders, one now starting the same nonsense and new 3rd desk is on 7.4, waiting to see if it will behave well. I agree with everyone thats says this is pathetic, these desks are very, very expensive!!!! I would like to invite digidesign to sit with me (and a busy high paying client) and explain to them why this happens. There is only so many times you can use this as an excuse for sharp increases in level before he (the client) thinks you are an incapable mixer.
Might seem trivial to some people, but this cheapens the whole ICON adventure.
Sound like you might be having the dirty wiper problem

ask Digi for a cleaning kit

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM

i get better performance at home with my baby HUI. this thing is not cheap to buy but it sure feels cheap!!
Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 AM

Never had any problems with the faders on our D-Control after 18 months or so...
Old 06-08-2008, 07:01 AM

I'm having some sticking faders only on my fader pack the main unit is all fine... I thinks it mostly 3 or 4 faders the wet finger thing doesn't work for me......it's not dirt this is a brand new unit..... I may try swapping caps just to see if that helps

I have not contacted digi on this yet.. we are too busy but this week I'll get some down time so I'll see what they think

cheers
SP
Old 06-13-2008, 12:57 AM

I've got a D Command and I just cleaned my wipers with the kit's from Digi. It helped with a few channels but not all of them. I found it weird that not one of the faders had any visible dirt. I've had problems with this for over a year and it's getting really bad. Digi has exchanged all my faders once before but I still ended up having issues. I'll be calling Digi to discuss options again tomorrow.
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Let us know what you find out. 9 months in and I'm starting to see intermittent issues on 2 of mine now.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 PM

Im have a dcommand and the fighting fader issue is getting worse, ive had mine for about 2 years or so. It seems to be the same faders always 1 through 4 on the main unit, im also having trouble with the encoders on the last 2 faders on the expansion this is intermitent and very frustrating i have to recal the faders constantly and focus the channels or bank them in order to use a diferent encoder or fader or worse reach for the mouse!!!! some times im automating a mix and the faders start to fight and i lose the encoders and it annoys the hell out of me, gets me out of the "zone" lose my concentration.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:40 PM

Same here with 2 faders of a brand new D-Command. Tried re-calibration but no help. When you are in calibrate mode and select "touch" those two faders do not show the circuit closing with the "T" coming up. I am assuming these are defective, but the problem is intermittent with one fader and always there with the other. I reported the problem weeks ago but got no reply.

Why is tech support always silent? Where can I get a cleaning kit? I will try the wet fingers trick. It is certainly a session killer when clients ask us why this happens. Engineers complain and rumors spread. Disappointing but at least I know I am now not the only one in this.

We are running on 7.3 at the moment and will upgrade to 7.4 if that helps ease the problem.
www.hitproductions.net