Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Ampeg SVX 1.1.3 stops passing audio

I have the same issue with the ampeg plug whether running it direct or through XGear. It's highly annoying and the only thing I do is make sure that I have created a preset of the settings before closing down PT.

Andy
PT 8.01 HD2
Mac OSX 10.6.6
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjazzy41 View Post
I can tell you that I have the same issue with Ampeg SVX AND Amplitube Metal. [...] In my case, however, I can get signal through the plug when inserted directly on the audio track UNTIL I activate input only monitoring or place the track in record ready mode. Nice. In other words, if audio is already on the track and I place either of these plugs on the track, it processes the audio just fine. However, if I want to record or even play along through the plug in real time, no dice. I did have a Sales Engineer at Sweetwater teach me a trick that does seem to work, however. He told me to place the IK plug (Ampeg or Metal) on a stereo Aux track. Then play through your audio track like you normally would, but bus the signal to the aux track. Seems to have worked for me pretty well.
Thank you for your input. However, I don't think this is the same issue. You can not record with an active RTAS plug-ins on an audio track unless a TDM plug-in (such as Trim) is placed before the RTAS plug-in. Or, unless you put the plug-in on the Auxillary bus like you said.

The scenario I am talking about is not the same situation. This bug happens when you put the plug-in on a track that is already tracked and recorded. Sometimes Ampeg will pass audio through the plug-in... other random times it will not.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM

...or just use pod farm if you are going to go all digital for your guitar or bass tracks.

My two cents.

Eric
Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 PM

I'm having the same problem. Ampeg SVX is a great plugin. It sounds good and is extremely flexible. My first thought, when this started happening, was that
IK was going to drop support on it and discontinue updates and fixes. I hope this is not the case. Cool plug. I'm going to continue with the work-around
for now and hope they update it with a fix.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Avid

Just out of curiousity - has anyone reported this to IK?

If so, can you tell me how you contacted them and, if you did it by email, the email address you used (make sure to obscure the email address so it doesn't get harvested..!)?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Yes I did. I used their online support form. Got an email back from ik [dot] support [dot] uk [at] ikmultimedia [dot] com. First their technical support gave me a whole spiel about how the plugin can 'be quite CPU intensive' and I should check my playback engine settings and try removing other plugins.

I gave them a suitably irate response pointing out that a HD|TDM system on an intel macpro running a single instance of Ampeg with less than 25% RTAS CPU usage overall was unlikely to be causing audio dropouts due to CPU overheads. The guy then said he was going to run it by the development team in Italy, and I never heard anything else. This was in Nov last year.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

If so, can you tell me how you contacted them and, if you did it by email, the email address you used (make sure to obscure the email address so it doesn't get harvested..!)?
Yes - using support request on IK's web site.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

Yes. I sent in a request last week through their online support on the issue. I have sent them links to this thread. They said the following on April 29th, 2011:

"Our customer support team has replied to your support request #241420

Hi

Hang in there, I am looking into this for you with the dev team, in the mean time can you load the ampeg in the AT 3 (I saw you downloaded it) and see if AT 3 does this and let me know in the meantime?

Just reply to this email to open the ticket back up.

Jason Williams
Senior Technical Support IK Multimedia"

Email address was: ik [dot] support [dot] us [at] ikmultimedia [dot] com

I replied with the following:

"Thank you for your response. I just barely tried using it in AT 3 and so far so good, but only time will tell.

For now, you may be interested in this forum post at the Avid Audio Forms: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300013 It appears that many have experienced this issue. Many have also experienced this issue over at the Digital Performer forms: http://www.motunation.com/forum/view...hp?f=1&t=45312 .

This is the only plug-in I own that has this problem and I have quite a few 3rd party plug-ins."

In where I received this response:

"Thanks. we are looking into this also." by the same email address.

I sure hope they really are "looking into this." It sounds like they have said this to several people before in the past.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Avid

I contacted IK and got some info.

They're trying to track down the source of the issue but, due to it's intermittent nature, it's been very difficult to do so.

They did, however, offer a workaround:
Quote:
Download and use the new AmpliTube 3 Custom Shop version in their account. All IK users have received a free version of the AmpliTube 3 Custom Shop in their account. If they visit and login to their User Area on www.ikmultimedia.com, they can download the AmpliTube 3 Custom Shop from the Downloads section.

User Area: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea

Once installed, launch AmpliTube 3 and then the Custom Shop. Login with the User Name/Password for their IK account. In the Custom Shop, click My Account > Restore My Gear. All the Ampeg SVX models (any other 'AmpliTube' products in the account) will now all appear, ready for use!

Any user who did report problems with Ampeg SVX have found this to be an easy and viable workaround.

For any user with issues, please suggest they contact IK Support for further assistance at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Support.php.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks Digitechsupt for following through with the issue. I have been using the new Amplitube 3 version and it appears to work great. The biggest annoyance is all the past projects that are already using the Ampeg only version. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to transfer settings from the Ampeg version to the Amplitube 3 version. But nevertheless, it is nice to have a viable work around.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4