Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2011, 10:09 PM

Default Ampeg SVX 1.1.3 stops passing audio

I just wanted to see if anybody else has noticed this problem.

Basically, Ampeg SVX is an insert (usually second) on a track. In some cases, when I open the project, Ampeg simply won't pass audio. I can easily get it to play back again by moving it from one insert to another and back again. But this is incredibly annoying. This happens completely randomly and when it happens, you can see audio going into the plug-in, but it just doesn't leave the plug-in. This is the only plug-in I have that has this issue.

I have read forum posts on Digital Performers website of users that have this exact same problem HERE.

I just want to see how many other Pro Tools users are also seeing this. I am trying to get IK Multimedia to acknowledge this issue so that they fix it.

If you use Ampeg SVX and have never seen this problem, I would like to hear that too. Thanks.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Default Re: Ampeg SVX 1.1.3 stops passing audio

I am having no issues with AmpliTube 3. I run the Ampeg models through it.
Since AmpliTube 3 is offered as a free download now, you might want to consider using it for all you IK Multimedia packages.
The SVX plug has not been updated in a while; AmpliTube 3 Free is their latest release.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:49 AM

Yes- I am having the same problem with Ampeg SVX, and fairly often. I also have seen it change sounds while appearing to have the same settings. I let IK support know, but it seems like they don't want to update the plug. If anyone else with these issues would also let them know, they might fix it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I just want to see how many other Pro Tools users are also seeing this. I am trying to get IK Multimedia to acknowledge this issue so that they fix it.

Yup, same here - PITA. Much worse when there's multiple instantiations, and like you say, fairly random.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Avid

Have you tried reducing the number of processors dedicated to RTAS in the Playback Engine? That *usually* will fix this.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Have you tried reducing the number of processors dedicated to RTAS in the Playback Engine? That *usually* will fix this.
Absolutely have tried - I never go above 14 in mine (out of 16), but no setting seems to help. I also had the same issues with Ampeg SVX on my previous system (Dual G5 - processors always less than max).

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM

As DigiTech mentioned, I've found it to be a help to reduce the processors, at least in the past.

However, now that the free Amplitube 3.5 is out, it seems to be working great.

This new version becomes the host for all of your Amplitube products, both old ones and the new ones in the custom shop. It replaces X-Gear.

I believe this new version is also 64 bit (I'm pretty sure).

By the way, when you download the 3.5, and log into the custom shop, go under your account and click "restore my gear". That should get all your products up to speed and available in Amplitube.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 AM

I have also had this problem ever since the move to Snow Leopard, it's highly annoying. I've also tried getting ik to acknowledge it to no avail. I've always run at 3/4 processors so that's not the issue.

Good to hear amplitube 3 might sort it out though, I'll give that a try next week.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Thank you DigiTechSupt for chiming in on this thread. I have been at one 1 less processor since early PT 8 days. Again, this is the only plug-in with this issue. I'm just afraid that they are going to blame PT when I am quite certain it is their plug-in.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I just wanted to see if anybody else has noticed this problem.

Basically, Ampeg SVX is an insert (usually second) on a track. In some cases, when I open the project, Ampeg simply won't pass audio. I can easily get it to play back again by moving it from one insert to another and back again. But this is incredibly annoying. This happens completely randomly and when it happens, you can see audio going into the plug-in, but it just doesn't leave the plug-in. This is the only plug-in I have that has this issue.

I have read forum posts on Digital Performers website of users that have this exact same problem HERE.

If you use Ampeg SVX and have never seen this problem, I would like to hear that too. Thanks.
I can tell you that I have the same issue with Ampeg SVX AND Amplitube Metal. IK acts like the issue doesn't exist (and yes, all my software is the latest version, legitimate, and registered!). In my case, however, I can get signal through the plug when inserted directly on the audio track UNTIL I activate input only monitoring or place the track in record ready mode. Nice. In other words, if audio is already on the track and I place either of these plugs on the track, it processes the audio just fine. However, if I want to record or even play along through the plug in real time, no dice. I did have a Sales Engineer at Sweetwater teach me a trick that does seem to work, however. He told me to place the IK plug (Ampeg or Metal) on a stereo Aux track. Then play through your audio track like you normally would, but bus the signal to the aux track. Seems to have worked for me pretty well. Just thought I would pass that work-around on to the others who are having this issue with IK and PT 9. And yes, my processors are set to 13 out of the available 16. As another poster mentioned, IK just doesn't update their plugs like they should. ProTools has had several updates, including the jump up from 8 to 9 since the last version (update) of Ampeg SVX and Amplitube Metal came out. I'm pretty p***ed at IK right now, as their plugs are awesome. They just don't play nice with ProTools.

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3