How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 PM

Default Connecting USB MIDI device for expression

Hi,

I've recently bought a TeControl Breath and Bite Controller 2 (BBC2). I am however not getting it to work with Pro Tools 11.3.1 on Windows 8.1. The BBC2 is connected to my computer via USB. My audio interface is a RME UCX. The company has a guide for connecting this thing in Pro Tools (http://www.tecontrol.se/files/Tutori...ro%20Tools.pdf), however this does not work for me.

The controller itself seems fine, I have a virtual instrument(vi) from sample modeling called Trumpet 3 that runs in Kontakt. If I start Kontakt 5 as stand alone the vi works well with the BBC2, in Pro Tools though it doesn't.

The guide states that you must add the device under setup->MIDI studio. It is avaliable under Input Port(see screenshot MIDI Studio. I don't know how to make the pictures appear in the textMIDI Studio.jpg), so Pro Tools is able to "see" it at least. Then in Kontakt 5 in the Trumpet vi I choose Midi Ch as omni and I get an error message, "WARNING: CC11 not recieved yet..."(see screenshot "trumpet". Trumpet.png).

I have another vi from Sample Modeling called Flutes that uses their own engine SWAM. This seem not to be able to run in stand alone mode but I get the same result in Pro Tools. The way the guide suggests setting it up is by inserting the vi on an instrument track and then one MIDI-track each for every input and their respective outputs going to the vi. I have tried this(see screenshot "track setup". Track setup.png), and my MIDI-keyboard connected to my UCX via 5-pin MIDI works and it's signals are sent to the vi but not the BBC2.

Reading posts and guides on the Internet suggests that you also must have the device added as a periferal under setup->periferal. I have tried this also(see screenshot "Periferals test", #2 is the BBC2. Periferals test.jpg) and under Recieve From the BBC2 is found but I don't know what to set the Send To to. I have tried all the option avaliable and it won't allow me to put none.

I have asked the manufacturer for help but this seems to be a Pro Tools problem(more correctly a Pro Tools USER problem) since this is probably not connected to their product but general MIDI setup in Pro Tools. I have used MIDI alot in the past but always through an external MIDI-interface so it has always just worked without any setup in Pro Tools at all. I guess there is a difference when it is connected via USB?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this I would be very grateful!

Thanks