Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 11:28 AM

Default Applescript With Pro Tools 6.1 (or a better way?)

I'm a mac newbie running pro tools 6.1.2 on mac os x (10.2.8), and I want to do a little automating. I run individual tracks into pro tools from reason. To bounce each of those tracks to its own file though, I have to do the "bounce to disk" function, one track at a time, soloing one track. I'm curious if there is a way to go through all my tracks using applescript, or something else that can automate this. Can you even use applescript with Pro Tools?

Thanks in advance,

slim chrispy
Old 02-17-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Applescript With Pro Tools 6.1 (or a better way?)

No, applescript would not be a possibility, probably not even if it worked with Pro Tools. In reason you can patch cables from individual instruments or multiple mixers into outputs other than the Mix output going into Pro Tools (reason has 64 of them for this reason [no pun intended]). Then use more mono or dual-mono reason rewire plugins in Pro Tools for those outputs. U can put each of these on a separate aux track. You could just do any mixing/effects/automation here in realtime and not even bounce them 'till your final mixdown **if you have the CPU power**, or you could bus all those to individual audio tracks on separate busses, arm all audio tracks, and hit record once. Done. Hope this is helpful.

Squish the Squid Productions
Old 02-17-2004, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the tip Arvid. I still want to find a way to automate this, where I can bounce each individual reason track down to it's own track though so I can edit each one individually. Assuming I start with a reason track that has each of its tracks routed to it's own mono rewire track, and that I have a template Pro Tools session with an audio track set up for each rewire input. Something that will automate just going down my tracks, one at a time and bouncing each one to it's own audio track. If applescript isn't the way to go, is there any other way to automate this? Why won't applescript work? Is it just unable to to access what it needs in pro tools? Sorry, I'm new to the mac and applescript.

Thanks,

slim chrispy
Old 02-17-2004, 01:56 PM

i guess i dont really understand. If you follow my method you should end up with individual audio tracks for each instrument in reason all recorded separately for further editing/mixing with only one pass. I don't see how much more automated you can get! If you need multiple copies just cut and paste.

(you said you were using reason tracks for MIDI recording? you could use the Pro Tools ones too, and route them to reason instruments but thats another story) \

pro tools does not support apple events - or at least not the last time i tried.

Squish the Squid Productions
Old 02-17-2004, 02:05 PM

Who's a tool? That would be me. Sorry Arvid. I think I replied before I really had a chance to think over your answer. I have a decent bit of hard disk recording experience, but I'm relatively new to pro tools. I didn't realize I could just route each reason track to an aux and then record the aux to an audio track. I'll have to try out your method. It will be a lot nicer than recording one track at a freakin time! Thanks tons for your help. By the way, you don't know how to get images to show up in a post to these forums do you? I use the way it says to do it on the forum instructions, but it shows my image link as literal text instead of showing the image.

Thanks!

slim chrispy