How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Router/Switch conflicts / Ip address problems

Hi,
I got a Switch to help with my new Euphonix modules.

I have the first port of the switch plugged in the first port of the router. Port 2-5 of the switch are the other Euphonix devices. They are all detected by the system, but only the Mc Transport can be activated. Activating the others result in a crash of Eucon.

I know this is a ip adress conflict because I've had those problems before and simply had to restart the router. But now since the switch is using only one port of the router it seems the problem wont go away even after a restart (even if they all have different MAC adresses).

Help!?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Router/Switch conflicts / Ip adress problems

Receiving errors with the current network connection messages when starting eucon...

Edit: seems to work after unplugging and replugging the euphonix devices...
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM

Is the device the euphonix equipment is connected to an actual switch or is it a router?

If its a router unplug it from your other router, the euphonixs don't need internet connectivity to work, they can be isolated on a network by themselves. This is how I have mine setup and they work fine, note I was also having issues running through two routers.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga View Post
Is the device the euphonix equipment is connected to an actual switch or is it a router?

If its a router unplug it from your other router, the euphonixs don't need internet connectivity to work, they can be isolated on a network by themselves. This is how I have mine setup and they work fine, note I was also having issues running through two routers.
Hi, thanks for the tip.
It seemed to work fine for now, but I'll have to see when I restart the computer and Modem. I had a Mix and a transport, and added tonight another Mix and a Control. This stuff is amazing.

How can I connect both a router and a switch if my computer only has 1 Ethernet port (iMac i7)? The router indeed seems to be the problem when it changes ip-address assignations on reboot.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Router/Switch conflicts / Ip address problems

(Hope I get the terminology right now) - I just connect my Control+Transport+3 Mixes with Hama/Apple goldplated ethernetcables to a 5-switch, switch to an Airport Extreme with one cable and then I have the option to go from the Airport Extreme to the computer either wireless (not recommended by Avid, but works quit okey here) OR via one ethernetcable (for optimum performance) - but I did upgrade my cables and I have not yet needed to use static IP-adresses...

Additionally I use the Digi 002 for my first 8 tracks (banks independently) and adds an Ipad2 that can either be used with AC-7 to add 8 more tracks to the Digi 002 OR with Air Display as a third screen (have a 27" LED Cinema + MBP 17") in use with the plugins as a better touchscreen then the one on the Conttrol... - that way I get 36 faders and 2 touchscreens.

I moved my Mixes around the other day, so the two newer ones with the better rotary encoders comes first, because that is where the plugins mainly turn up...

Just my 2 cents of input two help you outline your setup to the max. Also read the postings at Gearslutz and see the collection of videos at
http://ckuik.com/Euphonix
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 08-10-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
(Hope I get the terminology right now) - I just connect my Control+Transport+3 Mixes with Hama/Apple goldplated ethernetcables to a 5-switch, switch to an Airport Extreme with one cable and then I have the option to go from the Airport Extreme to the computer either wireless (not recommended by Avid, but works quit okey here) OR via one ethernetcable (for optimum performance) - but I did upgrade my cables and I have not yet needed to use static IP-adresses...

Additionally I use the Digi 002 for my first 8 tracks (banks independently) and adds an Ipad2 that can either be used with AC-7 to add 8 more tracks to the Digi 002 OR with Air Display as a third screen (have a 27" LED Cinema + MBP 17") in use with the plugins as a better touchscreen then the one on the Conttrol... - that way I get 36 faders and 2 touchscreens.

I moved my Mixes around the other day, so the two newer ones with the better rotary encoders comes first, because that is where the plugins mainly turn up...

Just my 2 cents of input two help you outline your setup to the max. Also read the postings at Gearslutz and see the collection of videos at
http://ckuik.com/Euphonix
Hey thanks,
thing is I do not want to use a wireless connection for internet (it can cause problems and is less stable - I noticed it also generate more heat) and I have only 1 Ethernet plug on my computer. Currently it works in the router, so it's not a problem...

I like the iPad idea, but I have a 23" ACD, a 27" iMac and a 17" MBP linked together (using a software called teleport for moving the mouse on the mbp, and another one I forgot the name to use it as a third screen). There is simply no more space on my desk. :)

I think with more buttons I'm going to have an epilepsy crisis (looks like a frigging airplane cockpit)!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Hi, thanks for the tip.
It seemed to work fine for now, but I'll have to see when I restart the computer and Modem. I had a Mix and a transport, and added tonight another Mix and a Control. This stuff is amazing.

How can I connect both a router and a switch if my computer only has 1 Ethernet port (iMac i7)? The router indeed seems to be the problem when it changes ip-address assignations on reboot.
Hmm, that is a challenge. I think the key would be to disable DHCP services on the switch that your euphonix equipment is connected. That way all devices would generate an IP address from your main router. Other way I can think of to do it is to use static IP's on your euphonix equipment, this might resolve the problem.

I have a MacPro, so I have the luxury of having two ethernet ports.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga View Post
I have a MacPro, so I have the luxury of having two ethernet ports.
Yeah I might have to go in the static IP business...

But it's all fine for now, the only issue is when I plug another wire in my router, then the MAC address change and I have to reboot everything.

That's nice about the MacPro to have 2 ethernet port. They should have done the same with the top of the line iMac.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
goldplated ethernetcables
lol
Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 PM

For starters...

The mac address does NOT change! It is hard-coded into the hardware. Further, no two pieces of equipment will ever have the same mac address!

I've seen a lot of switches, and none of them has ever provided DHCP. That doesn't mean that none of them ever have, but it's highly unlikely yours does.

Turn on the DHCP server on your router.

If any of your equipment must have a static IP address, make sure you exclude these static addresses from the DHCP pool.

Connect your switch to your router.

Turn on the DHCP client on your computer, connect it to your switch, and make sure all is working properly.

Turn on the DHCP client on one of your Euphonix units, connect it to your switch, and make sure all is working properly.

Do this for each of your Euphonix units, one at a time.

Everything should work okay after that...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Bill Denton; 08-10-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: An errant "T"