Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Default Vista Better than XP says Recording Magazine

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2021
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Vista Better than XP says Recording Magazine

Not to be a basher cuz I just don't care but were they running PT or stuff with more modern code like Cubase ,Sonar etc. That could well make a difference.

Vista reminds me of a modern car. When something breaks you look at it scrach your head and call the AAA to have it towed. XP on the other hand I can roll up my sleeves and dive under the hood without a manual.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 AM

u know what....

i was always a Vista hater.
XP has always been my fav OS (besides Mac OSX),

but to tell you the truth...
i've been on Vista for a while now and it runs everything I've been running pretty well!

I haven't had any problems yet...
so... I can't really talk bad about it.

All I do is use the Windows XP scheme on it and boom.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:03 AM

The BEST OS is the one that works the best for you.

"And that's all I have to say about that." Forrest Gump
Old 09-29-2009, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
The BEST OS is the one that works the best for you.

"And that's all I have to say about that." Forrest Gump
+1

Going from PC to MAC in 2006 I was told how much better osx was compared to Windows XP. Going back to Windows XP again earlier this year (with new hardware Core I7) my experience has thaught me that there is not a big difference.

XP/OSX works just as fine as the other. Just keep the plugins up-to-date, the background processes to a minimum and the hardware compatible.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:50 AM

I have nothing against Vista. Anti-Vista complaints i'v heared are from guys when trying to run it on dated hardware, or laptops.

As a freelance I get the chance to work on all 3 systems (still mostly OSX and XP). From my experience Vista is the most stabe, followed colsely by XP. OSX, while being a very smooth UI system, is allways iffy when it comes to crashing/freezing with PT. But For the most part I have to say they all work if the system is well maintained and properly updated (plugin versions, system updates and so on)

I do think XP 32 has a smaller mem footprint than Vista 32, this could mean you'd have more RAM available for samples.

W7 is more interesting to me at this point.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 AM

Can PT run on Vista with stability? Absolutely and that's never been the issue. When it comes to running a real time app like PT, XP is the clear winner in performance and that's what it's always been about. Vista gives PT massive performance hits compared to XP. You can not get the plug-in instances and OS latency on Vista compared to XP. It's the way the OS operates under the hood and Digi has always been well aware of it. Vista may have been a vast improvement for block based processed general music apps, but was clearly not a vast improvement for a real time application like Pro Tools. BIG difference there. The Vista era is done and over with and bypassed by many PT users. Digidesign barely even supported it and with good reason. Vista is gone, time to put attention on W7 64.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM

I like the car analogy. Everything can be compared to cars in the end. In fact Im sure I've seen quite a few references to cars on the duc. XP just needs a push every now and again whereas Vista needs roadside assistance.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:42 PM

Complete and utter bullox. You can like Vista all you want and that's fine, but the writer(s) of that article are, quite simply, wrong. See Shane's facts above.

I use Vista on a daily basis for a multitude of applications both audio and non-audio on PCs, laptops, and tablets, and I can't WAIT until Windows 7 overwrites yet another muddy footprint in the march of Microsoft (remember Windows ME? Ugh.) I have installed Vista and XP on literally hundreds of machines (yes, hundreds,) and XP is the clear-cut winner in my experiences as far as stability, reliability, and responsiveness. In the end, whatever works for people works for people, but there's no denying the fact that you will NEVER get as much 32-bit audio processing power out of Vista as you will with XP.

Windows 7 is feeling fly, been testing it out on lots of different machines and I'm impressed. Hopefully this is Digi's cue to jump on the 64-bit bandwagon. Honestly, considering the OS choices, I don't blame them for avoiding it for this long. We'll see if Windows 7 can touch "miniscule" XP (Here's hoping for a not-too-distant "miniscule" 7 release!")
Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I completely disagree. I would never EVER go back to XP. Not even at gun point!
LOL, why so much drama?

Me personally, I say do what works for you, and stop trying to be someone else's nagging mother.