Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2000, 04:46 PM

Default Help! NuBus expansion chassis problems.

After I installed expansion chassis interface card and connected to chassis-digitest started to show empty slots instead cards in chassis! Additionally digi external disk is invisible as well. I use: PM7100, PPC ECI, digidesign 12slots chassis, I/O + 7Farms connected with 12node ribbon cable.
Cards are installed: ECI in lowest slot in PM7100 and in chassis - first I/O (lowest number) than Farms. PT 4.3, DAE 3.4
What is wrong?

Leszek
Old 08-02-2000, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Help! NuBus expansion chassis problems.

The NuBus expansion chassis ribbon cable that connects the chassis to the computer is extremely...Infuriatingly...CRIMINALLY sensitive. I have one in my "B" rig, and there have been times when I swear I barely grazed it with my finger, and I would spend the next two hours on my hands and knees behind the rack trying to bring it back to life. It always eventually did, after seating and reseating the flimsy, unsecureable end that connects to the host card in the Mac.

Aside from the possible software/Mac hardware problems you may be experiencing (which my knee-jerk reaction is to discount, given the nature of the device, and my experience), you should look for any bent pins on the card inside the mac. There are a bunch of pins, and they are REALLY small and bendable. If they're okay, then...Honestly...You will hopefully find that after enough reseating of the cable to the card, and the card to the NuBus slot in the Mac, it will spring to life...And laugh at you.

Good Luck.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2000, 02:05 AM

Try putting the ECI in the middle slot in your 7100. I'm using a 7100/66 and found out (from the daw-mac list) that the ECI needs to be in the middle slot.

Jeff is totally correct about the sensitivity of the pins/cable. I struggled for almost a week trying to get my chassis working only to find...one of the pins was a little bent. Fortunately was able to straighten it with a very small pliers and tweezers.
Old 08-03-2000, 08:20 AM

Be very careful and try moving the farm cards to different slots. No matter what, digitest should recognize them, if not the cards have been static zapped. Take note of which cards are recognized and mark them. Try them in various slots, this will show weather the problem lies in the cards or not.

tom
Old 08-03-2000, 11:37 AM

Thank all of you guys!.
I'm now in a midlle of the road (I suppose).
Working for three consecutive days and nights - trying all tricks I knew. Now, I am also trying your advices - but still with no results. If you have some more ideas about (maybe software?) please let me know. I am learning more and more on digi high tech every hour .
Thank you again
Leszek
Old 08-04-2000, 03:12 PM

Problem solved definitely!
ECI card only seemed to work. It is dead!!
Thank you all, for your time and advices.
Leszek