Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Protools LE Remote ... I mean Really Remote !

Hi....

I would like to pick up LE Mbox system to edit remotely ....

But .. I want to leave the Mbox at home !!!

Just want the Powerbook and my files and Protools... don't want to haul the Mbox along for nothing.

Does Digi have any options for this !!!

Thanks for anything at all
[email protected]

Jon
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Protools LE Remote ... I mean Really Remote !

I'm wondering.. why would you want to do this? It's not that the Mbox is big or something?

I agree that in the nearby future it would be great if you could do web based audio editing or something (picture being able to access your projects from anywhere by just logging in to a website!) This would actually just be a harddisk somewhere else but you would still need A/D D/A converters to get the stuff out of the computer..
Old 09-23-2005, 02:47 PM

wouldn't it be nice to just have a little dongle, where if you didn't need to put anything in, you could just plug the dongle in and edit..

what if you are a virtual synth guy?
maybe you want to use a nice portable laptop...
but you still have to carry around an mbox..

osx core audio run at the kernel level and has much lower latency..

at least in my tests.
obviously i can't test protools because it only runs on digi audio...

but other software, i can.

but this is the forum for this
Old 09-23-2005, 02:56 PM

well since we're asking for things i want an update to pt's 5 on os9 cause i dont like packing osx.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:18 PM

I agree with the concept of having the ability to Run Pro Tools without using the Mbox as a Dongle. Sometimes I am at home and I get sent a small movie and some audio and all I need to do is look at them in sync and perhaps do a couple of edits. I don't need any inputs, or even hi quality audio I simply want to hear the audio through my Mac laptop speakers and watch the movie in sync. Now, currently this is not possible, so my options are to open the files in Soundtrack Pro to do the same thing, even though I would prefer to work in Pro Tools. As long as I have my iLok with a (say) Pro Tools Key (for example) and my DVToolkit key this should be able to happen. It would make Pro Tools so much more ubiquitous and make more people able to use it in more situations.
No the MBox is not big, but it is one more thing to cart around with a cable, and no I don't think that PT on OS 9 needs updating because I don't want to carry around OS X. (sarcasm is the lowest form of wit you know!)
This is a good idea waiting for an implementation
my 2c
Simon L.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:13 AM

would be great - I also drag around an Mbox on my freelance TV mixing gigs - mainly because I like the digibase search function and I don't want to put my sfx on to somebody elses network/hard drives ( they are using a fairlight and an auxiliary audioserver PC)

I record the SFX I need real time over analog - sync them to picture blah blah

any lightening of my load appreciated
Old 09-25-2005, 09:26 PM

i would pay a lot of money for a product made by digi that i could plug into my laptop (pci, firewire, etc.) that had an 1/8" stereo output. we've been asking for it for a long time and i'm afraid that it won't happen.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:52 AM

Pro Tools M-Powered 7 will be able to run on a computer with an iLok and M-Audio Transit (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html) interface. That will be very portable but will be a pain for LE users because you'll have to purchase M-Powered and install it on a seperate machine/partition since it conflicts with LE.