Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 05:58 PM

Default Re: What\'s going on with the Toolkits?

Quote:
I'm SHOCKED that DV Toolkit 1 won't work with PT 7.1. They're basically saying, that if you were a loyal customer, and purchased DV Toolkit 1 a long time ago (for a pretty big chunk of money) that you have to throw down EVEN MORE MONEY just to keep evolving with their bug fixes. This is getting pathetic.
I'm shocked that DVTK costs 1300 and doesn't even include surround - I always thought that $500 for DV toolkit was expensive! Just to import /export OMF's...... What planet are these guys on?

the only reason I still keep up to date with PT - is I have to deliver in PT format occasionally

I'm so glad I bought a FW1884 not an 002 - I did that deliberately knowing Digi's anti competitive practices! Who wants to be locked into one sytem..... Bought an Mbox 4 years ago and that does stereo which is all DVTK would give you any ways...

Bad luck digi guess you don't need my money!

Suggest others look at alternatives for OMF in out

AVtransfer, EDL convertor - they wll probably work for longer.........

vote with your dollar$
Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 PM

Much cheaper than buying a HD system. And lets face it, Pro Tools is the best. That's why everyone uses it & they won an Academy (Technical) Award a few years back. Compare what you used to have to pay for a Fairlight... If you're into post, buying DV Toolkit (1 or 2) is a pretty small outlay. Just a Digi-Beta deck alone will cost 50 times that! Plus, don't you recall all the claims on this forum, that 48 tracks weren't needed? What on earth would anyone do with 48 tracks? (absolutely laughable). No wonder Digi charged us for extra tracks. So, in their eyes, those that need extra, can pay extra.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
You are mistaken. Digi said the Toolkits would include the upgrade to PTLE 7.1, it was always very clear that you needed to already have PTLE 7.0.
Actually, I also remember it saying that while it included 7.1, it also said you could upgrade from ANY previous version. They changed that a while ago, probably soon after the announcement, but I do recall something about that.
Peace
Old 03-16-2006, 04:20 AM

Yes compared to fairlight purchase - protools HD are closely matched

I do prefer editing in protools these days over a fairlight...

But I am investigating my options

OK I am considering a HD system, yes I need 48 tracks, but I need 48 tracks and surround-

but I'm stuck in a gap...

native processing is still evolving why invest so much cash in something that could very soon become redundant.

A Mix system won't work in my G5... so ebay won't bridge the gap..

DP5 is about to be released with clip based automation - which I believe after playing this week with DP 4 will remove a major obstacle to it's use in post..

I have spent a few days doing a trailer in DP and getting it up to speed... Only Major hurdle I found is the switching between automation drawing and clip moving... and when a clip moves the automation don't follow..

DP 5 will only be $149 upgrade for me...

Might just rent in a mix system for the week I need to mix surround...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
You are mistaken. Digi said the Toolkits would include the upgrade to PTLE 7.1, it was always very clear that you needed to already have PTLE 7.0.
Actually, I also remember it saying that while it included 7.1, it also said you could upgrade from ANY previous version. They changed that a while ago, probably soon after the announcement, but I do recall something about that.
Peace
I remember it, too.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the confirmation of my memory, guys!

I will definitely not be buying either toolkit or anything else from digidesign until they get their act together.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:22 AM

Hey guys, apparently it depends on the Toolkit, or maybe it depends on who was writing the press releases that particular day. According to the recent DVT2 press release, you don't need to previously own 7.0 as it "also includes an upgrade to Pro Tools LE 7.1 software from any previous version of Pro Tools LE software" but the Music Production Toolkit "requires Pro Tools 7 software (sold separately) and includes an update to Pro Tools 7.1."

However, if you go back to the original press release from NAMM, it says "Pro Tools 7 software (sold separately) is required. Customers who do not already own Pro Tools 7 will need to purchase an upgrade before installing the either Toolkit. "

So there ya go, total confusion. Fun right?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Hello. I think Digidesign will end up with some egg on their face.

On January 18th late night, DUC membre Jenre started a thread about the 48 tracks. On January 21st DUC member aliengroover posted this
Quote:
From the press release:
"Included upgrade to Pro Tools 7.1 software from any previous version of Pro Tools LE or Pro Tools M-Powered software "
He did not link to one of the press releases but he is quoting from one of them. I also remember it saying this back then. This has now been changed. At the very least it is a very ambiguous statement and it leads people to believe that one could for instance go from 6.9 to 7.1 without going throu 7.0 first. That's the first faux pas. This is that thread

Thread #1

Next, DUC member Vaphoron started a thread on January 19th where he quoted another press release and had a link to a MacMusic url that also had that press release. Here is what he had
Quote:
Digidesign Music Production Toolkit will be soon available for $495. A special offer will be announced soon for recent Pro Tools 7 buyers.
That also has gone by the wayside now. There currently seems to be no mention of special prices for recent PT 7.0 and PT 7.0 PLUS buyers. Here is that thread.

Thread #2

And here is the MacMusic link with the original press release.

Mac Music

So as we see Digidesign has now made some quite significant changes to official public statements made back then. In their defense they always put this lovely piece of rhetoric on their announcements "Product features, specifications, system requirements, and availability are subject to change without notice." So legally they are off the hook.

In the court of public opinion they will be judged accordingly. For those who remember, when the 002 came out there was a similar mistake made in that some people who were at first promised a price break or free upgrade where later denied it. There was a big outcry and complaints and eventually Digidesign changed their mind and honored the initial statement.

I don't think they will in this case. I don't hold it against them, I respect their right to change their mind. I do wish they would be more transparent about it and make an official statement saying that their initial statements have been changed. Again, they say they reserve the right to change without notice, which is what they did here. It would be nice and offer some measure of respect to their users if they publicly admitted the changes.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:04 PM

Just wanted to update this thread with the info I posted in the "Special Offer" for Toolkits? thread.

According to Digi customer service, both toolkits require you to own PT7 already, the "upgrade from any previous version" is incorrect - whether it was always incorrect or whether Digi changed their mind is unclear due to all the different press releases out there.

Also, there will be no special upgrade pricing for recent PT7 plus! purchasers as previously stated, this deal apparently got canned along the way somewhere.

Please don't shoot the messenger, I just got tired of all the posts asking these questions (and I was curious myself) so I decided to call them and find out.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Avid

Hi folks, Slim is correct.

The current versions of the Toolkits being sold do not include a free upgrade to PT 7, they only include an update to PT 7.1. You must own PT 7 to use either of the new Toolkits.

When the product was originally "sneek peeked" at NAMM it was scheduled to include the full version of PT 7. At the time we felt that customers who had already purchased PT 7 should be allowed to qualify for special pricing as they had already purchased PT 7.

This scenario has now changed. During the final financial review of the pre-released product it was determined that including PT 7 in this upgrade would expose us to some revenue reserve issues and support issues going forward. Based on this we reluctantly removed the PT 7 upgrade from the products.

We do feel that the Toolkits with the additional tracks and bundled plug-ins represent a excellent value for many of our users looking to expand their music and/or post production capabilities. However, we do apologize for the miss-communication and confusion.

DigiCS