Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2022, 11:16 AM

Default Re: 2022 update: routing Mac Built-In audio to PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
Hi,

I think Eric may have fallen down a well....
Could everyone check your wells?
Fallen? Oh no, I jumped in.

I'm not in front of my studio computer at the moment, and haven't played with this for a few days, but I seem to remember needing to select Virtual Desktop as the input in Sonobus in order to get audio to pass through. Now, maybe that wasn't necessary -- maybe I could have simply chosen Mac Digital Output in Sonobus and set my Mac's output to Digital Out -- but I seem to remember that that wasn't an option.

I already had Virtual Desktop installed for my VR headset, so it wasn't an extra step for me to get that going.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:48 PM

I'm Just happy that YOU'RE STILL ALIVE!
(And don't know you)
Old 05-13-2022, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Fallen? Oh no, I jumped in.

I'm not in front of my studio computer at the moment, and haven't played with this for a few days, but I seem to remember needing to select Virtual Desktop as the input in Sonobus in order to get audio to pass through. Now, maybe that wasn't necessary -- maybe I could have simply chosen Mac Digital Output in Sonobus and set my Mac's output to Digital Out -- but I seem to remember that that wasn't an option.

I already had Virtual Desktop installed for my VR headset, so it wasn't an extra step for me to get that going.
So I've got a Mac Studio on the way, which doesn't have optical output on it, so I'm back to looking for a clean way to pass System Audio into PT.

Reading this thread, it seems a lot of the solutions won't work if you're using Avid Hardware (I'm using an Omni).

Can anyone confirm if, using Sonobus, you can direct System Audio straight into an AAX in Pro Tools? Anything that requires routing to the audio device won't work with Omni as PT renders it exclusive.

And additional question - what is Virtual Desktop? Sounds like an additional piece of software in your solution?

Otherwise I'll be running a phono cable out the headphone socket like it's still the 90s!!
Old 05-13-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Angus View Post
So I've got a Mac Studio on the way, which doesn't have optical output on it, so I'm back to looking for a clean way to pass System Audio into PT.
I don't know if this would work with the Omni interface, but the Mac Studio sends audio out the HDMI port and I would assume that includes 'system' sound. So you could get an HDMI decoder. I've seen some that have HDMI in/through and optical, coax and analogue out. I'm about to buy such a thing to enable me to get 5.1 audio from an Apple TV into my C|24's aux surround input...
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 05-13-2022, 07:47 AM

I haven't read this whole thread, but doesn't Audio Hijack do this? I was pretty certain you can record anything into anything with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 05-13-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but doesn't Audio Hijack do this? I was pretty certain you can record anything into anything with it.
Yes. I haven't used the app in a few years but it should work. Rogue Amoeba also have Loopback which has extensive audio routing between apps.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:55 AM

Mark-

I also have a Mac Studio on the way and the lack of optical out was a concern at first. To accommodate for that, I ordered a USB-C "sound card" which is essentially just a small box with an optical output. I've used something similar with my PC and it's been great.

There are several products in this category but I went with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSFBT82...roduct_details

But to confirm, yes, Sonobus is also a solution. My company has used it a few times and it's solid. I just prefer the ease of the optical out vs. setting up several bits of software/plugins.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:41 PM

My older OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock with TOSLINK/SPDIF out is fantastic. Frustrating that OWC dropped that on recent versions of the dock.