Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Routing Automation - Why Isn't this Done?!

I've done most of my work in PT also, and routing automation is something I've always missed. Would make a lot of sense to me.

Espen
Old 08-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Routing Automation - Why Isn't this Done?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
No way to open more than one sequence to easily drag and drop whole sections from one cut to the other (almost 20 years after AudioVision!!). AVID MC can do it and pretty much every other DAW out there. Why not the industry standard?
I would only assume that this must be a difficult request to accomplish on the DSP platform. How could PT reallocate DSP chips used for the two (or more) open sessions?

I could see this being much easier on HD Native. Perhaps that is the reason why MC or Logic or any other DAW for that matter could do this since forever

I work on smaller projects than you guys but Import Session data has been a great workaround for me.

What I would really like is to be able to save presets of what parameters I would to import over.

The MC import without an AAF is a brilliant idea though. If Avid ever does that it could even incorporate the EDL as part of the MC project file and PT to automatically calculate the changes...

Apologies for deviating from the main subject!

Last edited by antonis; 08-02-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:43 PM

My first console was a Harrison MPC and I really liked it. It featured automated routing that was used to dynamically commit sounds to various pre dubs. I transitioned to ICON/Pro Tools and I far prefer virtual mixing. Not having to commit to pre dubs allows for far more creative mixing time.
However there are still occasions where automated routing would be very handy in Pro Tools. I may be way off the mark but I always assumed that it was not possible because of the dynamic delay compensation that would be required during playback. If it is possible then I think it would be a neat feature.
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1079624/
Old 08-02-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norad155 View Post
Makes sense... having always had to drag to another track(or a work around with sends/sendmutes), it's never bothered me... but I could see where it could come in handy.

Pre/Post fader automation I DO miss... that seems silly that it hasn't been implemented yet.
My work around for pre/post fader sends: (you probably already know this)
Is to have TWO sets of indentical sends ... 1 set POST fader and 1 set PRE fader ... and mute between them as needed.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point1 View Post
My first console was a Harrison MPC and I really liked it. It featured automated routing that was used to dynamically commit sounds to various pre dubs. I transitioned to ICON/Pro Tools and I far prefer virtual mixing. Not having to commit to pre dubs allows for far more creative mixing time.
However there are still occasions where automated routing would be very handy in Pro Tools. I may be way off the mark but I always assumed that it was not possible because of the dynamic delay compensation that would be required during playback. If it is possible then I think it would be a neat feature.
I was told it was that the audio engine would have to be totally rebuilt... Which it has been a couple of times now ...

However, and just for the record, the DFC has always had both Delay Compensation AND routing automation.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Automated routing would be massively useful in PT.

I thought maybe they were going to implement this as part of the latest
Atmos improvements. That seemed to be what was being hinted at, but I can't see anything in 12.8 that can achieve what I was hoping for.

Adding to the things other have requested:
Dare I say 'folders in the region list' again, I've only been saying it for going on 20 years!

The crazy amount of time I've wasted trawling and searching through that region list.
If I could have that time back, I would be a younger and less grumpy man.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiograce View Post
I think Marti is just trying to give you some background.

Basically... I know the DFC as well as most. I'm familiar with what it does and why. However, your explanation about the origins of routing automation doesn't answer the question.

Routing automation is still valid and is extremely useful.

No one that I've seen is this thread is questioning anyone's expertise.

And seriously? Shame on you? Come on dad, be cool!

Now... to the point:
Does everyone else here just drag audio to other tracks when they need a reassign? Or does everyone just use pre-fader sends and mute between where they want to send material?

Please... let's try to be constructive here.
The way I have my DX set up, is I have 2 Main DX process Busses.
Each DX track has 2 dedicated aux sends to the inputs of those 2 Busses. The output is assigned to go nowhere. (yes, a bus called Nowhere)
My template is setup so that all my DX tracks are already setup to go to "Re-assign" bus 1. And I can easily reassign any audio clip to bus 2 if needed.

Now, you can do that with the ADR tracks as well.
However, I have a separate ADR processing chain that I run my ADR to first, that has some additional plugins that I sometimes need just for ADR, and that processing bus then also has the same output assignments. But I have that preset in my template to Bus 2.

So, you can easily setup assigns in your template using auxes that are automated.

My biggest wish is still automated pre and post send options.

Oh, and for futzes, I have a couple of dedicated futz tracks.

I am rarely dragging audio around.

Living the dream.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Cheers to that!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM

No idea if there's a technical, behind the scenes / deep in the code base, reason why routing automation isn't a simple feature to add directly to PT - but I can see that it would interfere with PT's current behaviour, and could potentially cause catastrophic data loss in some situations, whereby changing an output assignment wipes out existing automation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
The way I have my DX set up, is I have 2 Main DX process Busses.
Each DX track has 2 dedicated aux sends to the inputs of those 2 Busses. The output is assigned to go nowhere. (yes, a bus called Nowhere)
My template is setup so that all my DX tracks are already setup to go to "Re-assign" bus 1. And I can easily reassign any audio clip to bus 2 if needed.

So, you can easily setup assigns in your template using auxes that are automated.

Oh, and for futzes, I have a couple of dedicated futz tracks.

I am rarely dragging audio around.
My template is similar ... I have the ability to route between 4 dialog reassigns and (2) 5.1 Dx Stems.... all using aux sends and pan follow. This does, however take up a good deal of system resources. I have a similar workaround for pre-post send automation. 1 set of Aux's POST, another (Muted) PRE.

As I said above, there are workarounds, just wish we didn't need them ... routing automation is a staple of post audio.

Peace,