Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Default Support Plan Coming Up

We've been with ProTools since 1997. We are loyal customers and love ProTools. Hated the cost to upgrade to 10HD and almost didn't do the support plan last year. We ultimately did. Our Plan is up in December. So for the 599.00 we basically have received the 'collaboration' which we will never use and now a broken midi because of a bug in 12.6.

I'm not a complainer but at what point does Avid think about giving a rebate to users till they get their act together? I know it's a tough biz and working through all the problems of a program like ProTools is tedious, but you are not holding up your end of the bargain. We've been with you almost 20 years and you are an important part of our business, but you absolutely aren't fixing bugs more quickly like you said you would and deliver new features that your customer base has asked for.... I hope this changes sooner than later.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 11-17-2016, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Support Plan Coming Up

agreed.

non HD software owners have a lot more to be thankful for, but still, stability has been affected in so many versions along the way for a larger number of users than ever.

My subscription is up soon as well... hmmm. @99 its kinda easy to go for it and spend another year HOPING for an even better Pro Tools than before but the basic attitude of users and the wondering if things WILL get better shows a clear disconnect between development and actual users experience.

That's the part that worries me as I continue to commit to this software.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:40 PM

Amen.

Darryl Ramm
Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
agreed.

non HD software owners have a lot more to be thankful for, but still, stability has been affected in so many versions along the way for a larger number of users than ever.

My subscription is up soon as well... hmmm. @99 its kinda easy to go for it and spend another year HOPING for an even better Pro Tools than before but the basic attitude of users and the wondering if things WILL get better shows a clear disconnect between development and actual users experience.

That's the part that worries me as I continue to commit to this software.

Same situation here, I agree 100% with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
We've been with ProTools since 1997. We are loyal customers and love ProTools. Hated the cost to upgrade to 10HD and almost didn't do the support plan last year. We ultimately did. Our Plan is up in December. So for the 599.00 we basically have received the 'collaboration' which we will never use and now a broken midi because of a bug in 12.6.

I'm not a complainer but at what point does Avid think about giving a rebate to users till they get their act together? I know it's a tough biz and working through all the problems of a program like ProTools is tedious, but you are not holding up your end of the bargain. We've been with you almost 20 years and you are an important part of our business, but you absolutely aren't fixing bugs more quickly like you said you would and deliver new features that your customer base has asked for.... I hope this changes sooner than later.
Agree from the D
Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 AM

Agreed

AVID can say that you got some bug fixes and clip effects, layered editing, S6 post module support plus a few other things.

But it's clearly not good enough, and hasn't been since the annual fee was announced.

Am I remembering correctly that when the annual fee was announced we were told that it would mean far more frequent updates and bug fixes?

Whatever, looking at this chart, progress seems to have stayed fairly constant in terms of the frequency of releases. Though they've been slowing down for years since 9.0

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en393795

Quite how one assesses how valuable those releases have been is very subjective.

I would argue that nothing of real significance has happened since 11.0

Let's not forget that 12.0 was basically exactly the same as 11.3.1

Cloud collaboration - completely irrelevant for most users
Track Freeze - is that really a quantum leap from offline bounce which we already had?
Clip effects - pretty good I think, but not working perfectly by all accounts

HD users are paying a lot of money for very little indeed and actually many things have been made worse (video engine anyone?) and now broken midi
Old 11-18-2016, 03:50 PM

Same here,
Meloton Studio was one of Munichs very first ProTools Users ever more than two decades ago and I personally am using ProTools since Version 3 but I certainly won't prolong my HD-Subscription plan this year. I hesitated a lot last year but finally bought it, but not this time.
Too frustrated by that laggy AVID Video engine and many really severe bugs. Some of them not only annoying but even dangerous and potentially ear damaging like those sudden superloud fullscale buzz problems in PT12.4.
Went back to ProTools 10 and will use it at least until my MacPro dies..
And even a Nuendo 7 license is in the cupboard already

www.meloton.de
Old 11-18-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchase View Post
Track Freeze - is that really a quantum leap from offline bounce which we already had?
They're completely different functions. It's like asking if the Chopin Competition is a quantum leap from Olympic swimming.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
We've been with ProTools since 1997. We are loyal customers and love ProTools. Hated the cost to upgrade to 10HD and almost didn't do the support plan last year. We ultimately did. Our Plan is up in December. So for the 599.00 we basically have received the 'collaboration' which we will never use and now a broken midi because of a bug in 12.6...

Yup.

I ended up paying the $599 last year also. Looking at what amounts to another "charitable life support" contribution of $399 seem like insanity, a total of $998.00 in two years for a few new features and new bugs.

I guess the hope that you might be able to download the fix for the new bug you paid for in that last update prior to your plan expiration is the best motivation.

It is called the Avid support plan for good reason.

RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 11-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I started the year after you (1998). The 10HD upgrade really was a turning point (left HD for a while). My plan comes up in March and 12 for HDX has really brought nothing I am using. Due to user reports I have not even gone past 12.5.1. I am sure AVID is doing right by some users but I find nothing interesting happening anymore and the pace of things is just lethargic. For the first time i am thinking of not re-upping. And you cant even sell it either!
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html