Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Default Eleven

Hey everyone- I haven't posted in a while because I've been super busy producing and recording a friend of mines record. I rented Eleven TDM for the project to see what it sounded like and we ended up using it on the whole thing. It's pretty darn good....anyway, the music is free if you are interested in hearing it to see how Eleven sounds. Thanks! Matt

www.davetieff.com
Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Eleven

I know you posted this about Eleven and its use on the record, so I'm sorry I can't comment on that specificaly, but that record sounds AMAZING man! Real good stuff. I've probably be hovering around that site for the next few days letting my ears take it in.

Thanks for the new tunes man!

I will get back to you about the Eleven, after I get over the rest of this stuff.

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 AM

Really,, Really NICE!!!----- Great job guys, great sound!
Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Wow, great job on that album! It sounds amazing man. Gonna listen to these for awhile.

- Barry

http://www.bigbluebarry.com
http://www.reverbnation.com/bigbluebarry

Imagine a steel cage match between Sevendust and Linkin Park with Joe Satriani as the referee...
Old 05-25-2009, 08:23 AM

Guys- Thank you very much for the kind words...my friend, Mark Owen(www.citywalkstudios.com) and I worked very hard over a period of about a year to make that record. The kind words are MUCH appreciated! ANy thoughts on the Eleven plug-in? Thanks again...Matt
Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 PM

I really dig the Eleven on the tracks. All the electric guitar tones are wonderful and sit very well in the mix. The Eleven tones that really wowed me, and maybe its just me, are the ones like on the track "New World". There is the kinda warble from a Leslie sim amd wah or something of that nature. Its real subtle but I liked it. I also liked the realy twangly country leads on By and By. When the double tracks come in it sounds KILLER! Its hard to pick out detail in the electric guitar tracks that are more texture in the mix. But if they sound good in the mix, then they are doing what they should. IMHO

By chance would be you willing to disclose what type of pitch correction you used on the vocal tracks. They sound tuned but musicial and I love it. Especialy on "Sing for the Trees". I hope its not rude to ask, and if it is, I am sorry. I would just love to know.

And one MAJOR final point. The Island breakdown in "Sing for the Trees" is flat out production genius. At least I think so. I love the switch in arrangment. It just works... and AMAZINGLY!

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 05-25-2009, 06:59 PM

First of all, thank you immensely for taking the time to listen to the tracks, and for your comments on the production. I'm real proud of the record, and the way Mark and I followed our emotions first. I really think it made the tunes better!
As for the pitch correction, I have absolutely have no problem talking about that one. First, I've never been the kind of producer who will "on principle" not use a certain type of effect or plug-in. I think, really, the end justifies the means. I certainly don't think an intonation plug-in will make a bad singer good, but it will make a good singer sound better, and reduce the amount of takes needed to get the right part. Luckily, Dave Tieff agreed with us on this one and let us take the bull by the horns and use it when we felt it was appropriate. Can it be heard in places on the record? Sure, but it's not ever so distracting as to take away from the song. My motto is always, would you rather hear the tuner a little bit, or would you rather it be out of tune? Of course we always tried to get it right without tuning it, but sometimes it doesn't work that way, as I'm sure so many of us understand. With all of that said, the tuner I used was the Waves Tune Vocal bundle. I did full-pass RTAS for the leads and main BGV's, and Audiosuited the rest of the stereo BGV's. I've used Antares in the past, but the Waves Tune plug-in just suited me better. If you haven't tried it, give it a go...I think it's real good. I've heard a LOT of good things about the melodyne plug-in, but I haven't had the opportunity to try that one yet. Thanks again...Matt
Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks so much for getting back to me Matt. I hate to distract from your origional post. I'm just always exploring and learning, and the record you made with Mr. Tieff is flat out amazing. Hence my persistance.

From your post is sounds like you use your tuning when needed to correct, like the most of us do. To that extent I would hardly say I can hear any of the corrections you made with your tuning software. I guess I was hearing something a little deeped in the vocal. Something else in the production. The first few vocal line of "Sing for the Trees" capture this very well. It's a very slight but almost syth-ish edge to the vocal. Maybe is just a combination of delay and verb working amazingly together to thicken up the sound. I would almost say that even the delay echo sound has a slight element of it, which makes me think its less on the after effects (verb and delay), and more something of the vocal itself. Regardless, I don't expect you to pick it out. And again, wonderful job!

Nick
Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 PM

+1 for Waves Tune. I've been using it since it's debut whenever a client needs pitch correction. I have Antares, but for me, Waves has this beat hands down.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 PM

Talking Re: Eleven

I guess its about time I got away from Antares. Not that I don't love their stuff, cause it works great and I find it to be flawless as far as detecting any needed correction, with in reason of course.

However, I have noticed a lot of you guys, who are doing this stuff on a much larger scale, get a nice sweet tune added to your vocals. It almost like you took a great vocal and added a little extra tone or pitch to it. I know lots of people who get this effect on electro music, using Melodyne. It seems to offer the same added tone warmth, but with a much more robotic element. Which does not suite the pop/americana stuff I myself do. The Teiff record is the as close to that sound that I have found, without losing the natural elements of a vocal. Without that added Robotic tune sound.

I have Melodyne Studio 3 and Waves Tune which is included in my Waves Mercury 5. Maybe its time I got to working with both. I've been relcutant because I've been happy with what I've been using. It just hear others getting better results, and I'm loathing that sound!

Thank you both for your time.