How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Notes off screen in piano roll

Hi

Just when I thought I had all the gremlins sorted...

I have my Roland R70 drum machine hooked up to PT 6.4 and can record edit etc BUT, the lowest note (kick) is on the outer limit of the piano roll ie it is visible but cannot be scrolled down to because the note number is too low or so it seems. If I touch the note it jumps up to the next visible note on the piano roll and cannot be put back where it was thus I lose the particular drum sound. I have tried changing the note number on the device but it doesn't make a difference. Any body else had this problem or know how to fix it?

thanks in advance
Dale
Old 03-30-2006, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Notes off screen in piano roll

sepugaza

If you know what Octave and Note your kick is on, use Single Note mode.

filosofem

Old 03-30-2006, 06:22 AM

Sounds like you're not using the right scroll bar, or you need to make the track height larger.

See This picture for an indicator of where the individual track scroll controls are.

Changing track heights is covered starting on page 224 of the Reference Guide

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-30-2006, 09:33 PM

This is the strange thing. I have got the track zoomed to jumbo, and the scroll bar as far down as it will go and is still not in the visible area. the midi events sit right on the edge and can only be moved upwards and once it is moved up, cannot be put back down to the same instrument, which indicates it is off screen totally.

Using single note mode then restricts my ability to view all other notes. I have the master midi track for recording and then copy/paste to other tracks that are set to single note mode so I can then record the hits to individual audio tracks later (this I have only just learned about and set up as I am a newbie to PT)

Thanks for your input so far.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:50 PM

sepugaza
Quote:
I have the master midi track for recording and then copy/paste to other tracks that are set to single note mode so I can then record the hits to individual audio tracks later
This is interesting, I didn't think that this sort of routing was possible, I'll have to give it a try. Ummm... instead of copy/paste, you can duplicate as many MIDI tracks as required and use Split note command on each of those tracks. Version 7.x does this automatically, creating the number of track required, sorting them also into Octave/Note in Single Note mode.

...and as for your inability to scroll down the piano roll ...maybe Shawn knows.

filosofem

Old 03-31-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I have got the track zoomed to jumbo, and the scroll bar as far down as it will go and is still not in the visible area. the midi events sit right on the edge and can only be moved upwards and once it is moved up, cannot be put back down to the same instrument, which indicates it is off screen totally.
Can you post a screen shot? It would definitely help.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-04-2006, 09:46 PM

Hi all

Thanks heaps for all the feedback. After another determined effort, I have discovered it was to do with the note mapping of my module (Roland R70 drum machine). As there are about 240 sounds some are way down the note scale and although I suspected this in the beginning I could not figure out how to change the assignment. Anyway to cut a long story longer - I have now mapped the hits so they are all closer together on the keyboard map in PT and I am a happy chappy. Hope this helps any other poor frustrated souls out there.

The moral of the story is - go back to the source!