Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM

Default 11R slamming my monitors on startup.

I have gone WAY simple in my studio and disconnected the line mixer and all the peripherals, even the computer audio channel. I want to wring the best and the quietest audio I can out of my system while I try to figure out computer and interface choices. I ditched the 002R that 11R was S/PDIF'd into and my 11R Main Outputs go directly to my Event 20/20 bAS monitors.

Everything is hooked into a power conditioner and all the gear switches are set to ON as are the Event powered monitors. Before, I would turn down all the channels on the line mixer before turning ON the power.......no problems.

But now....... ......even with 11R's Volume all the way down......I get this really awful and LOUD pop out the monitors.

So I tried turning 11R OFF and then turning on the system and monitors.....then turning on 11R ....BAM!!! .......loud pop.

I suppose I now have to awkwardly reach behind my monitors everytime and turn them off and on before 11R. What a pain!!

Does anyone else experience this?
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:28 PM

Default Re: 11R slamming my monitors on startup.

I use a Monster 2500 power conditioner and it has a delayed power on for some outlets that I put on my powered monitors. It also shuts down in the opposite order. This solution works for my 11R setup.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM

Why do you keep turning it off then?
I've only had mine for about 9 months, but i never turned it off.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 PM

The pop is normal. You need to follow normal amp procedure; main amps are last on and first off. It's the same for your active monitors - last on and first off. Don't let them pop.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
The pop is normal. You need to follow normal amp procedure; main amps are last on and first off. It's the same for your active monitors - last on and first off. Don't let them pop.
Yep. This is accepted standard startup procedure. There will be a yellow paper sitting on top of the 11R unit when you first open the box saying exactly the same thing.

Turn on the 11R first, then everything else, then turn on the monitors.

This issue has been raised several times on the forum
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...light=loud+pop

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjermundsen View Post
Why do you keep turning it off then?
I've only had mine for about 9 months, but i never turned it off.
Um.......'cos you live in Norway where it never gets above -10ºC

Dude......in my small studio here in California.....once the powered monitors, computer, studio lights, any guitar amps etc and the computer monitors....yes that Apple Cinema Display generates some heat.....have all been on for an hour or more......it gets to be a sauna in there. I run the A/C in winter when I am working long hours in the studio.

Also......everything was on one power switch. I would come in, flip that switch, turn on the computer and be good to go. As long as the mixer main volume was down.....no pops. That is with the 11R connected to 002R by S/PDIF. And the few times I made the mistake of not checking the mixer volumes were down....I would get a crackle....higher pitched pop....in the tweeters mainly. This pop was more like a sonic boom compared. Hit the woofers also........WAY loud!! I'm surprised nothing got damaged.

So yes.......I will follow "normal amp procedure" in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor
The pop is normal
You'd think they could have designed that so it didn't. Easy to do....some sort of soft power up and down. It has to be a bit of a bother if there is a whole thread on it from the past........which I need to go read, thanks for the link Benoni.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM

Okay read the link. So yeah, my only comment is that you would think with all the advances in technology......this could have been fixed by now. Not just Digi/Avid.....but in all equipment that suffers from the power up spike that slams amps, audio monitors etc. That is all I have to say about that.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9