Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2022, 11:26 AM

Default Using EW Instruments in ProTools via MIDI files?

I am a "classical" composer and have used Sibelius for decades. I am new to ProTools, however, and recently took the plunge and purchased a EastWest membership so I can generate more realistic playback files.

I've followed the tutorials (YouTube) for how to use MIDI files in ProTools to playback the EW instruments, but when I do, nothing happens (no sound). Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I just want to be able to use the EW instruments to create realistic playback of my orchestral works so clients can hear them. I don't need to produce Beyonce's next great album.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Old 08-02-2022, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Using EW Instruments in ProTools via MIDI files?

Maybe more info will help? For example, you mention using midi files to play EW; so where do these midi files come from and how are they brought into a Pro Tools session? Let's assume a have a midi file(maybe something downloaded from a website). You import it into your session to a new track. Because it is midi, it will(most likely) show up on a midi track, so now you need to have it "play" your EW VI(Virtual Instrument plugin). So create a new STEREO INSTRUMENT track and insert EW in the top slot(Slot A). From here, you have 2 options:
1-assign the output of the midi track to feed the EW plugin
2-(what I would do)-with the midi track displaying CLIPS(in the EDIT window), click on the midi track and hit Ctrl-c(to copy), then use the p or ; key to move to the instrument track and hit Ctrl-v to paste. Now your midi SHOULD play the EW plugin(assuming you have a sound loaded).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-20-2022, 09:16 AM

I use Sibelius to create the MIDI files. My hope is to be able to take those directly to ProTools and create a more realistic sounding output than what is currently available with Sibelius.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:31 PM

Cool, my previous instruction should help

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-21-2022, 12:53 PM

you can also insert sibelius as a plugin, which gives you straight access to sibelius session and don't need to worry so much about possibly different versions