Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 11:19 AM

Default 1 display, 2 displays ..3 displays? what would you

Im runing PT 7 on my g5

Gentlemen, hoping you are doing well I com e to you with a question regarding computers displays

may be some of you guys remember me, Im the guy who tryed and tryed to make logic and PT coexist on the same machine with no success, so i have a g4 with logic on it and a lot of virtual instruments. I connect both machines using midioverlan, and do all my sequencing on pt. I only use Logic as a Gigantic Sound module...so far so good

now a friend of mine sold me his copy of Gigastudio ( he sold me also some library etc) and am gonna integrate this into the studio

am gonna use also midioverlan to connect to this machine and probably use a regular sound interface with balanced out to go to mi digi mic pres

My question to you would be, am I better of keeping each computer with its own monitor, or should I get a switch for all the computers so they use my Apple 30 Inches, which is place right on the sweet spot , between my spakers?

can somebody tell me what are the proos or cons of this system?

thanks a lot, and if this has been discussed before i apologize but couldn find an specific title for the topic

thanks and the best for all of you
Old 05-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: 1 display, 2 displays ..3 displays? what would

I compromise between the two ideas in my setup. I have a G5 as my main system, using 2 21" displays. I also have 4 PCs, which share 2 other displays using KVM switches (yes I have 3 mice and 3 keyboards on my desktop). That way I can have a couple of the PCs visible at the same time as the G5. I like being able to see the main DAW on screen and glance over to the PCs as needed without switching the view. Sharing one monitor between all the systems is probably a much more streamlined look though.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: 1 display, 2 displays ..3 displays? what would you

Quote:
now a friend of mine sold me his copy of Gigastudio ( he sold me also some library etc)
Before you put down any money on this, check to make sure that the libraries he's selling have transferable licenses. Most don't, and can't be sold legally.

Lee Blaske
Old 05-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
My question to you would be, am I better of keeping each computer with its own monitor, or should I get a switch for all the computers so they use my Apple 30 Inches, which is place right on the sweet spot , between my spakers?

can somebody tell me what are the proos or cons of this system?
Personally, I think you should keep the other system on its own monitor. Switching would be a PITA. If you someday end up with multiple GS or VI computers, you might consider switching them.

I currently have two monitors for my Logic/PT rig. On top of the two main monitors, I have a single monitor that I switch between four PCs for GS and Steinberg V-Stack, plus an additional Mac.

There are a number of companies out there that make stands for mounting LCD monitors. There are some out there that can mount two monitors, one over the other. Unfortunately, I don't think the Mac monitors have the industry standard mounting plate (I could be wrong about this).

Lee Blaske
Old 05-28-2006, 01:44 PM

i use a kvm switch it works great..2pc's (gigastudio and vegas) and a G5 sharing two monitors...works great.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
now a friend of mine sold me his copy of Gigastudio ( he sold me also some library etc)
Before you put down any money on this, check to make sure that the libraries he's selling have transferable licenses. Most don't, and can't be sold legally.

Lee Blaske

thanks, I didnt think about it, you are right Ill check in to that
Old 05-29-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: 1 display, 2 displays ..3 displays? what would

I do the same...

My PT Mac has 2 Mon's, and I also have a PC which runs Giga and Cubase SX with VSTi's etc.

My KVM only switches one Mon between the PC and Mac (the other Mon is always on the Mac). I typically place PT's Edit Window on Mon "a", and PT's Mixer Window on Mon "b". The KVM switches Mon "b" to the PC.

There's also some open source software called VNC that remote controls various Mac/Windoz/Linux computers, and with it you can have external computer desktops show up in windows on your main computer. It's performance os a little slow (use 100 base-T or better), but for external PC's operating as sound generators it's fine IMO. See it here...

http://www.realvnc.com/

Doug

Quote:
i use a kvm switch it works great..2pc's (gigastudio and vegas) and a G5 sharing two monitors...works great.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:03 PM

I have 2 displays on the main G5 and then use a bunch of computers on one mouse and keyboard- they all have their own monitors.

Yes it looks like the control room of 'The Matrix' in here.

JR

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 05-29-2006, 01:32 PM

I have bad experience with KVM switches, because they tend to block, and then you have to reset both of your computers, or disconnect and reconnect the USB cables. This is a major PITA, as Lee said. Having separate monitors for each computer will make your life a lot easier. By all means, use LCD or TFT monitors, since they don't take up much space, and don't radiate that much.

Also, there is a software worth trying in multiple-computer systems. It's called SYNERGY (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net). Using this software you can control multiple computers using a single mouse, which slides from one monitor to the other, as if using a dual-monitor computer. The best part is - you can drag and drop items from one PC to the other! Ofcourse, all computers need to be networked... I haven't tried the software yet, because macs are not yet fully supported, and I have two macs and a PC. So if anyone tries it, please post your comments here...

Paul
Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Hi
At one point I had 4 computers and 2 monitors and I was using a kvm switch .... it completely ruined my workflow / enjoyment.
My life generally sucked as I sent most of it switching or trying to remember what computer I was switched to.

Then I moved over to using synergy and WOW !!!! this little application changed my life !

Now my setup with synergy is :
A) G3 Mac with 17" LCD - used for web/mail/address/iCal etc
B) G4 quicksilver with 20"widescreen LCD - used for ProTools HD2
C) Windoz XP with 17" LCD - used for VSTack/GIGAStudio/Kore/Reason
With ONE master keyboard and mouse I can scroll across all 3 displays, as the mouse moves from screen to screen so does control of each machine. This works amazing ! Never crashes.
Basically my G4 serves the mouse and keyboard to the other machines.
They are networked using a 1000BT switch.
I also still use VNC allot to operate our server etc,run the WAVES APA32, midi over LAN too !

WOW !

use this for MAC OSX = http://software.landryhetu.com/synergy/
use this for XP = http://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy2/