Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-02-2022, 09:45 AM

Default What good is "Save Copy In..." options "Session Plug-in Settings Folder" and "Root"?

According to the manual

Session Plug-In Settings Folder (Sessions Only)
When this option is selected, the session’s Plug-In Settings folder is copied to the new location. The references to these settings in the session are redi- rected to the copied settings files.

Root Plug-In Settings Folder (Sessions Only)
When this option is selected, the contents of the root-level Plug-In Settings Folder are copied into a folder named Place in Root Settings Folder, indi- cating that these files will need to be moved to the root level plug-in settings folder on the destination system before you can use them. The references to these settings files in the session are not redirected to point to the copied files.

When would we actually use this?
Old 09-02-2022, 03:43 PM

Default Re: What good is "Save Copy In..." options "Session Plug-in Settings Folder" and "Roo

They already wrote most of the answer here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=177163

Basically, IF or WHEN you move sessions to a new computer, or plug-in settings from an old session to your current one, this comes into play.

It is possible to, say, have your default presets in your own computer's "root plug in settings folder" but if someone on another computer sent you a session and they saved their project settings (properly), you could import data from that session (without opening the session), including the presets/settings that other computer carried along in the Session Settings Folder (i.e. without sending their own root settings in entirety).

So there are reasons to do this, but for specific workflows.

If you are always on your own computer and you never share sessions with anybody, put every preset you want to recall in your root.... probably. Someone else might tell you there is sometimes a reason to do it even if it's just your computer, but at least the reasons I gave above indicate why it might be useful to separate the settings folders.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //