Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-31-2024, 01:10 PM

Default Keyboard - No Sound from Plugins

I'm new to Pro Tools and haven't done studio recording in years.

I have an Alesis electric keyboard with 2 RCA outputs. I have these outputs combined into a stereo 1/4 inch plug into 1 channel of my FocusRite Scarlett 2i2. The Scarlett is connected to my mac air and I'm using Pro Tools Studio.

Inputs to Pro Tools is either 1 or 2 (for the 2 inputs in the Scarlett and output is stereo)

My headphones are plugged into the FocusRite.

I start a new session and make the click track inactive. I add an Instrument track for the keyboard and choose channel 1 for Input. When I play the keyboard, through channel 1, I hear it perfectly (using the Direct switch off on the FocusRite). The gauges on the Pro Tools track are following the keystrokes so it appears the keyboard is recognized by Pro Tools.

But when I insert an instrument plugin, like Xpand!2, I hear nothing (yes, I have record enabled). If I insert the mini grand piano plugin, I can play the notes on the plugin and hear those fine, but when I play notes on my piano I hear nothing. This is happening with most plugins.

I've checked to make sure the plugins are all activated. I've been trying to figure this out for hours and watched tens of youtube videos with no luck. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Keyboard - No Sound from Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by amweiss View Post
I have these outputs combined into a stereo 1/4 inch plug into 1 channel of my FocusRite Scarlett 2i2.
You’re likely canceling most of the audio connecting it this way. If you want stereo from the keyboard, left goes into input 1 and right goes into input 2.
Quote:
I add an Instrument track for the keyboard and choose channel 1 for Input. When I play the keyboard, through channel 1, I hear it perfectly (using the Direct switch off on the FocusRite). The gauges on the Pro Tools track are following the keystrokes so it appears the keyboard is recognized by Pro Tools.

But when I insert an instrument plugin, like Xpand!2, I hear nothing (yes, I have record enabled). If I insert the mini grand piano plugin, I can play the notes on the plugin and hear those fine, but when I play notes on my piano I hear nothing. This is happening with most plugins.
You didn’t mention that you connected MIDI. Instrument tracks are used with MIDI, not with audio even though you can pass audio through them.

If you want to record the audio from your keyboard, you go to an audio track. If you want to record MIDI to play a virtual instrument, you need to have a MIDI connection from your keyboard that can then be routed to the VI you want to play. MIDI routing for instrument tracks is done at the very top of the track when viewing the instrument view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-31-2024, 03:28 PM

Thanks Top Jimmy....that makes total sense. Amazingly, that instrument is midi probably confuses people new to Pro Tools. I'll remember that from now on.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
You’re likely canceling most of the audio connecting it this way. If you want stereo from the keyboard, left goes into input 1 and right goes into input 2.

You didn’t mention that you connected MIDI. Instrument tracks are used with MIDI, not with audio even though you can pass audio through them.

If you want to record the audio from your keyboard, you go to an audio track. If you want to record MIDI to play a virtual instrument, you need to have a MIDI connection from your keyboard that can then be routed to the VI you want to play. MIDI routing for instrument tracks is done at the very top of the track when viewing the instrument view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, issue solved for me too