Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 01-03-2022, 12:00 PM

Default MacUpdater 2

I just noticed that the Pro tier of Macupdater 2 claims to be able to track and update non-app support software such as audio plugins.

https://www.corecode.io/macupdater/
https://www.corecode.io/macupdater/comparison.html

Has anyone tried this out?
Old 01-03-2022, 07:52 PM

Default Re: MacUpdater 2

I've never used it but the FAQ states AU and VST plugins not AAX.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:49 AM

The youtube video I got the idea from said that it supports AAX as of April 2021. I've emailed the developer for clarification.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:57 AM

They replied and they said it does work on the AAX folder. If you look at the FAQ under the VST folders it includes the avid plugin folder. I told them they should clarify that in the FAQ and that AAX plugins are not called "VSTs" (which is where I think the nomenclature problem lies).

Downloading now. I'll report back.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:49 AM

I am interested! One thing that I have noticed, though, is that some AAX plugins still have an old date in the info and you have to peek inside the container to see the actual version number or installation date. Hopefully this Updater app is intelligent enough to get the version right.

Phone +46707773443
Old 01-08-2022, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibS View Post
They replied and they said it does work on the AAX folder. If you look at the FAQ under the VST folders it includes the avid plugin folder. I told them they should clarify that in the FAQ and that AAX plugins are not called "VSTs" (which is where I think the nomenclature problem lies).

Downloading now. I'll report back.
Please report back! 😀 There seems to be no way of testing the pro version without buying it.

The vanilla version seems to work fine, though. It catches a few plugins “by mistake” if there is an app version as well 👍🏼

Phone +46707773443
Old 01-11-2022, 08:14 AM

It works, mostly. It won't update AAX plugins for you but it will at least give you a clue which ones need to be looked at. I paid for the "Pro" version. They said they would refund my money if it didn't work for me.

I'll probably keep it. The main reason I downloaded it was because I wanted to keep on top of plugins like the PA stuff that doesn't have a version checker in the installer portal but is also prone to bugs. It found things I thought were up to date. It seems to be a great tool for monthly maintenance checks. I will likely keep it.

Quote:
I am interested! One thing that I have noticed, though, is that some AAX plugins still have an old date in the info and you have to peek inside the container to see the actual version number or installation date. Hopefully this Updater app is intelligent enough to get the version right.
Give me an example of a plugin where the info doesn't match the wrapper and I'll check it out. I haven't found that to be an issue but I didn't open every wrapper to triple check.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:08 AM

Many Thanks! I can not say right now, but I recently updated a plugin and was unsure if I really completed the update, so I checked and it said it was created years ago. I re-did the update and it still had an old created date and last accessed date. I then right clicked to show the contents of the AAX container and I found the actual file deep inside to be up to date even if the shell did not tell, so to speak.

Phone +46707773443
Old 01-12-2022, 01:04 AM

So, here's a few examples...

Native Instruments FM8 Says it is from oct 2015, but the content is from feb/mar 2021

Metric Halo Channel strip. Says it is from Oct 2016, but content is from Nov 2021

UVI Thorus says it is from feb-18, but content is from Nov 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibS View Post
It works, mostly. It won't update AAX plugins for you but it will at least give you a clue which ones need to be looked at. I paid for the "Pro" version. They said they would refund my money if it didn't work for me.

I'll probably keep it. The main reason I downloaded it was because I wanted to keep on top of plugins like the PA stuff that doesn't have a version checker in the installer portal but is also prone to bugs. It found things I thought were up to date. It seems to be a great tool for monthly maintenance checks. I will likely keep it.

Give me an example of a plugin where the info doesn't match the wrapper and I'll check it out. I haven't found that to be an issue but I didn't open every wrapper to triple check.

Phone +46707773443
Old 01-14-2022, 09:14 AM

I don't actually have any of those plugins but I can tell you that it doesn't seem to use creation date as it's criteria. It uses actual version numbers from the meta data. So far I haven't found a single error and I have a boat load of plugins.