Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-05-2021, 11:30 AM

Default June update - hybrid info

looks like we're getting an update this month according to this mailout from Westlake. good stuff, not sure if they've jumped the gun slightly on this announcement

https://westlakepro.com/avid-pro-too...HDX+this+Month
Old 06-05-2021, 12:43 PM

Default Re: June update - hybrid info

Nice, I have said it before, Avid should have all Pro tools engine on native. Hybrid means all the audio engine is native but uses the hdx chips for plugins. Wich is cool.

Their next step is to eliminate voices.

And I really hope they eliminate or upgrade the 32 I/O limit.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
looks like we're getting an update this month according to this mailout from Westlake. good stuff, not sure if they've jumped the gun slightly on this announcement

https://westlakepro.com/avid-pro-too...HDX+this+Month

It's probably all good. Avid published its June release back in March - https://www.avid.com/resource-center/hdx-hybrid-engine

I'm looking forward to it. From the sounds of some of the chatter in the Eucon sections of the forum, it seems like there will be a pretty tasty update to EuControl too.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Nice, I have said it before, Avid should have all Pro tools engine on native. Hybrid means all the audio engine is native but uses the hdx chips for plugins. Wich is cool.
More to it than that. The Carbon is the demo of the Hybrid engine. If you have the channel in DSP, no Native allowed.

HDX allows a mix. If you've mixed with both, you'll understand the issue here (when latency isn't an issue but you want to share resources between native and dsp).
Old 06-05-2021, 08:11 PM

I hope they've re-coded the entire audio engine to be more efficient and stable, soup-to-nuts, and that it's even smoother with Virtual instruments. That's all. I mean, I'd really like the MIDI stuff, new shortcuts and Sample-Rounding Error fixed, as I've been requesting. But if I'd bought that HDX card a decade ago, instead of the HD|Native card (after selling my year-old HD Accel cards to do so), maybe I'd be bouncing merrily along.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 06-06-2021, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
More to it than that. The Carbon is the demo of the Hybrid engine. If you have the channel in DSP, no Native allowed.

HDX allows a mix. If you've mixed with both, you'll understand the issue here (when latency isn't an issue but you want to share resources between native and dsp).

What happens when you engage DSP Mode on a track on a Carbon system that doesn't have input monitoring or record armed?

For what it's worth, I think the same DSP plugin before native plugin trick still applies with the Hybrid engine. If you toss a DSP trim plugin before your native plugins, the native plugins won't be bypassed when the channel is record/input armed.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:19 AM

So I don't know about current HDX as I went from LE to HD Native to Carbon Hybrid

But as far as Carbon Hybrid operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
What happens when you engage DSP Mode on a track on a Carbon system that doesn't have input monitoring or record armed?
Not sure I understand the question But what happens is the track goes into DSP mode and is running on the HDX chips, regardless of being record or input monitoring armed or not .

Quote:
For what it's worth, I think the same DSP plugin before native plugin trick still applies with the Hybrid engine. If you toss a DSP trim plugin before your native plugins, the native plugins won't be bypassed when the channel is record/input armed.
Assuming that's how it works on current HDX ??
Then no that is not what happens with Carbon DSP Hybrid
With Carbons current Hybrid implementation,,, It is a one or the other not both, on any single track

In Carbon while you can have a mix of tracks in the same session some in DSP mode and some in Native mode,,,,,,,,, BUT on any single track if in DSP mode, any Native mode only plugins ( not AAX-DSP capable) will be bypassed, regardless of order, does not matter if you put a DSP trim plugin first.

So to recap
#1 On a track that is put into in DSP mode any Native plugins (already on the track before being put into DSP mode) will be bypassed.... And when a track is already in DSP mode you can't put a Native only plugin on it , the only plugin selections you have are DSP capable plugins

#2 On a track put into in Native mode all plugins will be switched to Native mode

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-06-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:17 AM

So what happens on an Instrument Track with a native VI on the first insert? Can that be switched to DSP mode?
Old 06-06-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
So what happens on an Instrument Track with a native VI on the first insert? Can that be switched to DSP mode?
Again the insert slot position is irrelevant in terms of mode selection or operation (DSP or Native) . And yes an instrument track can be switched into DSP mode BUT any Native VI plugin will be auto bypassed.

Here a quick off the cuff very brief summery Video I did for some guys in another forum ( don't remember If I have linked it here or not) who were asking about Carbon and DSP

https://youtu.be/YFhujEU8X30

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 06-06-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Again the insert slot position is irrelevant in terms of mode selection or operation (DSP or Native) . And yes an instrument track can be switched into DSP mode BUT any Native VI plugin will be auto bypassed.

Here a quick off the cuff very brief summery Video I did for some guys in another forum ( don't remember If I have linked it here or not) who were asking about Carbon and DSP

https://youtu.be/YFhujEU8X30
Thank you for that video.
Could you explain a little more about how "DSP Mode Safe" works? If there is more to it than in the video.

Thanks
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.