Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Interface Recommendation (back again)

Thank you, that's good to hear! But, I have a Scarlett 6i6 which I used with 4+ cycles of a 1 kHz square wave for some latency compensation and measurement tests. I was surprised that with a 48 kHz sample rate it seemed to have a significant amount of distortion in comparison to a 96 kHz sample rate. (I wouldn't want to use it at 48 kHz!) Do you know anything about that - would you expect or do you know that the Saffires/Clairets offer lower distortion at the lower sample rates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
The Saffires do work much better on Macs in conjunction with PT11/12 in general.
They also work better than the USB Scarletts and generally all the Focusrites seem
to be more stable and better working on Macs than on PCs at the moment.
Curious about the new Claretts.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Thank you, that's good to hear! But, I have a Scarlett 6i6 which I used with 4+ cycles of a 1 kHz square wave for some latency compensation and measurement tests. I was surprised that with a 48 kHz sample rate it seemed to have a significant amount of distortion in comparison to a 96 kHz sample rate. (I wouldn't want to use it at 48 kHz!) Do you know anything about that - would you expect or do you know that the Saffires/Clairets offer lower distortion at the lower sample rates?
I am afraid I do not know enough about it to tell you something you don´t know already
but I have seen a lot of pros using the Saffire Series successfully with Pro Tools (mostly on Macs).
They all were impressed by the quality of the preamps in relation to the units prices, even
at standard rates of 24bit/44Khz/48KHz.
On the other hand its clear that you cannot expect the same quality in a $300-500.- piece of gear
you would get with $2000-3000.- studio preamps finally.
However it seems that those Saffires are the by far best bang for the buck up to $500-600.-, particularly
if one does need a lot of inputs/preamps.
If 2 inputs/preamps will be enough for sure the Apollo Twins will be the best offer below 1k as to the
quality of the preamps and converters.

Thats been my personal experience so far at least.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:11 AM

Thanks Again! I have so much to learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
I am afraid I do not know enough about it to tell you something you don´t know already
but I have seen a lot of pros using the Saffire Series successfully with Pro Tools (mostly on Macs).
They all were impressed by the quality of the preamps in relation to the units prices, even
at standard rates of 24bit/44Khz/48KHz.
On the other hand its clear that you cannot expect the same quality in a $300-500.- piece of gear
you would get with $2000-3000.- studio preamps finally.
However it seems that those Saffires are the by far best bang for the buck up to $500-600.-, particularly
if one does need a lot of inputs/preamps.
If 2 inputs/preamps will be enough for sure the Apollo Twins will be the best offer below 1k as to the
quality of the preamps and converters.

Thats been my personal experience so far at least.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:59 PM

I'd look at Waves hardware. The DiGiGrid hardware is sick.

I'm running a DLS with my Avid HD I/O and a 192.

As it sits, I'm not even using the HDN card. Going straight in Cat5e/6 with the DLS (Using my HD I/O and 192 for 32 in 24 out, and 64 voices DSP). Seriously awesome setup.

Had the Waves hardware been around when I went from TDM to HDN I would have avoided the HDN bundle and just gotten the PTHD Software secondhand and gone straight to an IOS and pair of IOX's (which would be 32 inputs, with 32 remote controlled Pre's, 20 line outs, 10 dedicated headphone outputs that are accessed as their own outputs, and 64 voices DSP via the IOS)... anyway...

I would say I couldn't be happier, but I could. I could be happier ditching the Avid I/O's and running just the Waves Hardware... lol... that will be my next move... for me, it would make sense to have the integrated remote controlled Pre's.... Would make it a lot more versatile for me both in the studio and mobile (with the integrated remote pre's) - can easily run off my laptop with just a cat cable. I'm doing a lot more remote/mobile stuff these days, so this makes a lot of sense, and is really the most practical for me.

Definitely worth a look if you haven't checked it out.
http://www.waves.com/hardware#sort:p...ging:number=20

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 06-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Avid

Exclamation Re: Interface Recommendation (back again)

Greetings all,

The OP requested "recommendations on a cheap all in one interface" so please keep this thread on that topic (when it re-opens).

Thanks!
Closed Thread