Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2014, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Pro tools stops responding an slow

Interesting thing just happened. I installed ASIOforall driver tried it got same error

Pro Tools could not initialize Low latency Generic ASIO drive please make sure device is configured correctly

Then I switched it back to Saffire and my file played with no errors.
Saved file restarted session and we are back to how it was before. I also cant switch it back to asioforall pro tools just hangs and stops responding.

Now I am back to square 1

I also cant find anything for firmware updating on focusrite website:P
I don't use speakers only usb headphones. My audio device onboard and is installed is Realtek
Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Ah OK "Realtek" that's not more useful than saying your PC has an "Intel chip inside" but that does not tell me if you have an ASIO driver for whatever actual chip set it is or whether you have ASIO4ALL configured to use the device.

What is your ASIO4ALL configured to use? Have you read some of the ASIO4ALL documentation and looked at the ASIO4ALL config panel?

No speakers and a USB headphone is not that useful. The USB headphone will be it's own audio device. You can try connecting that, and installing drivers for it if needed (many just use generic drivers) and pointing ASIO4ALL at it but I have a lot of mistrust with USB headphones as failure prone junky devices.

You kind of need to slow down, work out what exact audio devices are in the PC and try to get ASIO or ASIO4ALL working with them. That will be a very handy thing to have in general.

Can you hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools is starting up and try select a different playback engine to get back to a better state?

For whatever device you are using, make sure Windows is not also trying to use the device (or it's pre-ASIO4ALL WDM equivalent device), and that you have fully optimized the system. This keeps coming back to smellng like a large part of all this is that like you have a basic configuration problem with the OS/multiple applciations trying to simultaneously open a non-re-entrant/single use driver.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Make sure you're using the most current Focusrite drivers:Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 PM

Sorry if it seams vague

I am trying to explain the best I can with the knowledge I have
Never had to take a coarse on computer software design to get something I bought to run.

I got the asioforall driver to load again into pro tools the only place I have access to the control panel for it.
With it set to the headphones I get cpu ran out of cpu power try De-activating plugins AAE error -9173. I have 0 plugins installed into the session.

Now I am tring to get back into pro tools took about 6 minutes of hang time
I changed it back to saffire after ASIOFORALL driver and boom it works I was able to duplicate this twice now.
It will not run pointing asidforall driver to any of my devices I cant get the buffer high enough I set it to 64.
If choose the other asio driver the non low latency one Pro Tools crashes to the desktop.

To me it seems there is a problem either with the pro tools driver and or the saffire driver not anything in my computer.
I don't thing there is a magic switch to make this happen.
Either way I am completely frustrated and prepared to look into other options.
I have been using pro tools and part of this community for 5 years and am beside myself.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Make sure you're using the most current Focusrite drivers:Shane
Thank you that was the first thing I did if you read up
I see that person actually used an older driver he said 2.5b
Im using 3.4b so I shall try 2.5b
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Now I'm doing your work for you. Your mother board is an Asus Z87-K from the Asus web site...

Audio
Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC *2
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking

I'm pretty sure there are no native ASIO deivers for that, so you'll need to use ASIO4ALL, and make sure it is configured to use that ALC887 device via its WDM driver. Make sure you have the latest WDM driver isnalled (check with Realtek and/or Asus, dont' rely on Windows update).

I would find/borrow some PC speakers or analog (not USB) headphones or earbuds to connect to the ALC997 audio just to test with.

So again, please read the ASIO4ALL documentation and see what device you have configured in the ASIO4ALL control panel. If you can't make sense of the control panel post a screen shot here.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 PM

I have installed asioforall driver like I said in previous post it crashes protools to the desktop when I select it
The generic low latency driver will not allow me to raise the buffer setting high enough to run.

The control panel where I can actually raise the buffer size say to 512 that's the one that keeps crashing to my desktop

I guess the point here is this is crazy why should I have to jump through all these hoops. I cant believe I am the only one with this issue
Old 07-07-2014, 12:00 AM

I found out the problem, It was that the default playback in windows was set to 16 bit 48k hz then I set it to 24bit 44.1k hz and now it works.

Right click on sound in your minimize area and open the playback menu and right click on the sound device your using and goto properties, then goto the advanced tab and set the sample rate to the appropriate rate for what you're doing..

Thank you everybody for lending me a hand and being so patient.
I'll let everybody know how my first session goes.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmenchen View Post
I have installed asioforall driver like I said in previous post it crashes protools to the desktop when I select it
The generic low latency driver will not allow me to raise the buffer setting high enough to run.

The control panel where I can actually raise the buffer size say to 512 that's the one that keeps crashing to my desktop

I guess the point here is this is crazy why should I have to jump through all these hoops. I cant believe I am the only one with this issue
The ASIO4ALL control panel (not the Pro Tools playback engine dialog panel) crashes when you open it? or Pro Tools crashes or both? When you do exactly what in it? What exactly do you see in the crash?

What is crazy is I'm asking the same question multiple times and not getting clear answers.

Have you read the ASIO4ALL documentation (bundled in the installer)?

ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper for some other WDM audio device driver so what exact WDM device have you got it pointed at? The Realtek motherboard audio? Your USB headphones? (give up on that now..). What?

Can you see what the WDM device is in the ASIO4ALL control panel or does the control panel crash before that? If you can't work out what is says post screen shots of the ASIO4ALL control panel showing details of the settings (click the wrench icon for detailed view).

I'm just trying to get you to get ASIO4ALL working as a useful debug tool, yes you are right it should not be this hard.

Pro Tools works fine on many Windows 8.1 systems, it is far more likely something is wrong with your setup/drivers/third party components/what you are doing than a bug in Pro Tools 11.

Debug stuff, and try to communicate clearly exactly what you are doing, ...
Old 07-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Focusrite

Hi everyone,

Generally in the case of a message like "unable to initialize Saffire" or whichever interface the first thing to do is actually check the interface, as the message suggests.

This means getting Pro Tools out of the equation and just checking that the interface works in other programs, such as Windows Media Player.

Once you establish that you can play back basic audio check that Sample Rates are aligned between all programs, including the Windows OS.

That should get you going!

If you do have any further issues please feel welcome to contact Focusrite directly. We are happy to help you out.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/