Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Default Mbox Pro 3 doesn't turn on!

I bought a MBOX Pro 3 about two years ago. It worked perfectly until last weekend when the power light started to blink and I lost the connection with my computer. I checked the Avid Support Forum and found out that it could be the driver, so I decided to update it from the Avid Drivers Page. I was using the 1.1.9 Driver for Windows 8 with the 1.0.3 firmware. In the Avid Mbox Pro Drivers website, I found the new release for windows 1.1.10 that includes the firmware 1.0.4, so I downloaded and ran it. The update started normally, but in the middle of the process it stopped. I know that you can´t shut down the computer in a firmware update, so I waited for 6 hours, but it didn’t finish/completed the update. I rebooted the computer and the Mbox, but it didn’t turn on. Now, the Mbox is completely dead.

I never thought that a driver update could do that with a piece of hardware, but definitively this is something that must be fixed by AVID.

Any one knows how do I restore the MBox 3 to the original factory settings?... maybe pressing some keys simultaneously or something like that?

Thanks!

Last edited by Mesih; 06-03-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 doesn't turn on!

It's not the driver that blocked out but probably the firmware update that was in it, and yes if the firmware update fails on any piece of equipment, the equipment may stop working, that's true for any brand of gear. You will have to get in touch with an official repair center, as I think your gear is out of warranty. Have you registered it yet?

Wave-T.com
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 AM

Thanks Manny, yes I registered when I bought it. I live in Florida, so I talked with the official repair center here, Ground Control Professional Audio, but they told me that they can't repair the MBox, they usually change pieces but my problem is not a hardware problem, its a software issue that requires to reload the firmware into the interface, and they don't do that.

I talked with Avid Support too and they offered me to check my interface remotely for $40, but it won't function, because my Mbox doesn't turn on!.... so tomorrow I'll call again...

Last night I realized that there´s some light from the firewire ports... I uploaded a video to youtube...

http://youtu.be/PaLs0g2u678

Please any assistance would be great!!!

Thanks
Old 06-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Right, sorry for the delayed response. I think the only thing you will be able to do is send it either to Avid or try an other of their authorized repair center. I find it mind boggling that the store you talked to would not do these things if they are in fact an Avid certified repair center. IN fact I just checked and there is no Authorized repair center in Chile.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en210711

Your best bet might be to send it to either of the two centers in Brazil.

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest driver that also included a firmware?

akmedia.digidesign.com/support/compressed/Mbox_Pro_1_1_10_Win_81829.zip?ns=1

Try it if this doesn't work, or it's the same one you had tried, then I'm afraid all you will be able to do is get it serviced at a ARC

Wave-T.com