Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Mac OS X 10.4.10 and Mbox (orig.)

Ok, I have about had it. I have downloaded everything suggested,I am using PT 7.1.1 on my 2GHZ intel core duo with OS X 10.4.10, I tried the the core audio update, tried the prebinding utility and it said that everything was fine. What I am seeing is that ProTools loads and starts ok, but it says the hardware is in use by another program. I am 100% certain that it is NOT in use by another program. I have checked everything, restarted the computer, unplugged until loading ProTools, and I still says the same thing. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am begging for help! I know there are some geniuses out there!

Thanks,
Derrick
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Mac OS X 10.4.10 and Mbox (orig.)

If you downloaded the standalone CoreAudio installer, it says on the download page "For Owners of Supported Digidesign Hardware on Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" That Do Not Have Pro Tools Installed". So that could be the problem

Try the Pro Tools LE 7.1.1cs2 Update:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=23741

That may replace your coreaudio components with the correct files. But if not, you will need to delete these files if they are version 7.3:
Digi CoreAudio Manager.app
Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin

Then run the 7.1.1cs2 update again. The version on those files should be 7.1.1cs1 if installed correctly.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 AM

Hi,
Isn't 10.4.10 still unsupported?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 PM

I did all of the above. I found the core audio manager, and it is the cs version. I did not find the plugin file. Shouldn't that be in the plugin folder? Otherwise, it is all as you described it should be. Of course, I still get the same message, that the hardware is in use by another application.

It would seem that protools would be a little more on top of things, since they think they are such the "elite" software.

Any help?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 AM

Use Spotlight to find it.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 PM

everything seems to be in place. The files are as described. I uninstalled and reinstalled as you described, and the files are as you describe. I still get the message that the hardware is in use by another application. This is getting pretty ridiculous that digidesign can't make this stuff work. Any help to re-establish my respect for digidesign and protools?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Administrator

I'm not a tech, but maybe some of these suggestions might help...

You can try simply removing the "Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin" located in /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/ and restart the computer. (you shouldn't have to delete it, just move it to the desktop or somewhere outside of the HAL folder)

The CoreAudio preferences are stored in the DigiSetup.OSX file. Go to the Support section, and download the Tech Support Utility from the Support Utilities link on the right side of the Support section. Run that, and it will delete the preferences that may have become corrupted.

If that doesn't help, then I would look at deleting some of the Apple preferences:
com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist
com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist

If you want to try keeping the CoreAudio driver installed...

It is also possible that an application is actually trying to use the CoreAudio driver that you are not aware of. In Applications/Utilities, open Activity Monitor, and choose Active Processes from the menu.

If you think an open application might be the problem, see this item from the CoreAudio Drivers Guide:
Quote:
Preventing an Application from Accessing CoreAudio Driver

You can prevent an application from accessing the CoreAudio Driver by holding down the Shift key just before the application would access the CoreAudio Driver, typically during launch of the application. Certain applications (such as Apple Mail and iChat), do not access the CoreAudio application until they first play a sound, so you will need to hold down the Shift key just prior to sound playback in order to prevent the use of Digidesign hardware for playback.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the input. I tried all of that, and of course, still no dice. I am so sick of this crap. ProTools sucks!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:11 PM

In my control panel for my computer, it shows hardware that has been installed. It shows my M-Audio fast track pro, and it shows M-Box 2, but I have M-box (original). Is this a problem? Are the installers correct? This is so frustrating.

Actually, I paid $75 for the drivers that I supposedly needed, and have been fighting with it for almost a year. I wish I had just got my money back, but I had faith that it would all work like it was supposed to. How foolish of me. I think I will just use Logic or Cubase or something (unless someone can help).