How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-10-2020, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Plugins on Second Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Gräber View Post
Yes, it does until you hide the plugin window, then re open it. It goes back to the main screen.
Not here. They always open where the last open one sat.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-10-2020, 11:26 PM

Maybe try to swap your screens at the video card so number 2 is your main screen in front of you, put your edit and mix windows on screen 2 and your plugins will open on your now main screen which is placed on your desk as if it is number 2... problem solved?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:11 AM

You can set window configurations. I have some of mine set to specific workflows. For dialogue cleanup, most of my RX windows show up exactly where I want them. For mixing, it's just how I want it. Perfect every time. Target window is what you want otherwise.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 03-11-2020, 02:45 AM

This has just become a 'new' problem for me - for as long as I can remember (close to 20 years!) I've worked with more than 1 monitor; and plugin windows, audiosuite windows and pan windows have always opened on the screen they were last opened on. IE, if I moved a plugin window to my second monitor, and then closed it, the next time I opened a plugin window it too would open on the second monitor in the same place the last window was open.

However I recently decided to experiment with the Mac 'Spaces' feature - with plugin windows from Pro Tools, RX & Soundminer all over the place I thought Spaces might provide a way to neaten up my workspace. However I quickly realised that when Soundminer was running in a different "space" to Pro Tools, the spot to timeline feature would not work - a deal breaker, so I switched off spaces and went back to the old way of working.

However, since enabling Spaces, ALL my Pro Tools windows now only open on the main monitor - they cannot even be recalled correctly with Windows Configurations. No matter what, every window opens on the main monitor. I can move them to the second monitor, but when I close a plugin or pan window and open the next one, they always come back on the main window. This is also the case for opening and closing a session; windows on the second monitor when a session is closed will open on the main window when the session is reopened.

I have of course switched off spaces, and I have also tried trashing my PT preferences - all to no avail. I have no idea if this is a Pro Tools bug, or a Mac bug, but it's definitely not normal. If I had to guess I'd say it's something in Pro Tools, because no other apps appear to be exhibiting the same behavior. If anybody has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving me crazy!

Pro Tools Ultimate Native 2019.12.0
Mac OS 10.13.6
Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 AM

jamesa5454:
I know this will be a pain but try and reinstall OSX. This might work considering your problems started when you had Spaces running. Something got mucked-up and reinstalling OSX might be the only answer.

QAPLA!
Old 03-11-2020, 05:06 AM

Avid is behind on this as on many other elements. In fact, like the majority of user requests, it's rather that it does not interest the Avid team, because it must not be so difficult to program, easier in any case than the adapted 4k. Avid will allow two screens when everyone has 6, as it will allow two tracks of markers as we will have elsewhere to infinity ... But hey, the majority of PT users don't go elsewhere, so they don't know...

That said, on the size of the monitors as a solution, I find that 65 inches is huge and requires some distance. I chose a 43 inch 4k (Samsung) and it's perfect even a little big yet. It allows me to place the screen at about 30-34 inches. Pro Tools performs very well on this screen, with a 100% scale. No blur, everything is very beautiful (and I am very very sensitive to these aspects), and the speed is perfect for me (my card is a GeForce GTX 1070). And you can set up the windows within the only allowable frame.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-12-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
jamesa5454:
I know this will be a pain but try and reinstall OSX. This might work considering your problems started when you had Spaces running. Something got mucked-up and reinstalling OSX might be the only answer.
I'm sure that would do it - but I don't really have the required 2 free days in my schedule to reinstall my entire system I think it's more time efficient at this stage to keeping moving windows to the other monitor when they pop up on the wrong side...
Old 04-27-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa5454 View Post
I'm sure that would do it - but I don't really have the required 2 free days in my schedule to reinstall my entire system I think it's more time efficient at this stage to keeping moving windows to the other monitor when they pop up on the wrong side...
For anyone else who runs into this I realised that it was only exhibiting this behavior with the specific user account that had spaces enabled; other accounts on the same machine functioned correctly. My rudimentary work around was to delete the offending user account and then create another one. Not so elegant, but better than re-installing the OS
Old 10-04-2021, 12:47 PM

The only solution I've found (sort of) is setting up various combinations of the plugins I want to see and then saving them as a "window configuration".

Go to: Window -> Configurations -> New Configuration

You'll then return there to access the various configurations you've created. I often need to clear all my open plugins in one shot (cntrl+opt+cmd+w) (Mac) and then later I want them all back open so I open them all back up into the same spots they were before I closed them by selecting the configuration in the list. To reduce mouse clicks, I've actually assigned my group of master meters for the TV post production work I'm in the middle of (Dorrough, Insight2 and WLMPlus) to a single button press on the Avid Dock. Anyway, wish I could set up plugins using shift+click and have them open on something other than my primary display, (which is why I was back here looking today), but I guess I'll stick with building and using window configurations for now.
Old 01-07-2022, 04:52 AM

This is an older post, but this problem for me was solved for me today (using a setup with 4 monitors) just by doing this on a mac:

At the OS dock on a mac, hover over Pro Tools
Right Click
Select Options
Click on All Desktops

Hope this helps someone!