Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-17-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Avid Dock Record Light

Could someone who uses an Avid Dock tell me whether the LED built into the record button in the transport section flashes when a track is record armed (as the on-screen button does in Pro Tools) as well as showing steady on when Pro Tools is in record?

'Cos if it does, I'm thinking of buying a used one, cracking it open and seeing if I can hack into the signal line to that LED and export it to drive a transistor driver to an external LED... to be a studio record light.

I already have a Command 8, which doesn't have this functionality, and I have a Punchlight RGB which doesn't work properly (only indicates record, not record ready, and is flaky) and Punchlight, having promised me a new firmware to correct this 3 months ago, seem to have gone off-air.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 10-17-2020, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Avid Dock Record Light

Yep, just tested it. It flashes when the track is armed, regardless of whether the transport is moving. Then it goes solid during record.

I'm sure there's an easier way to get what you want. Or at least cheaper than cracking open a $1k Dock. Keep in mind that EuCon preferences will define when that light is relevant. The Dock fader defaults to the attentioned EuCon track, and EuCon won't light it up unless it thinks there's a real Dock on the end of that ethernet cable. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Yep, just tested it. It flashes when the track is armed, regardless of whether the transport is moving. Then it goes solid during record.

Keep in mind that EuCon preferences will define when that light is relevant. The Dock fader defaults to the attentioned EuCon track, and EuCon won't light it up unless it thinks there's a real Dock on the end of that ethernet cable. Good luck.
Thanks for letting me know - but I'm not sure I understand your comment. The record button on the transport section is always going to be that, isn't it? Regardless of EuCon preferences.

It does seem like an expensive way to go about things I know - but I wouldn't be breaking the dock - I would be using it.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 10-18-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
Thanks for letting me know - but I'm not sure I understand your comment. The record button on the transport section is always going to be that, isn't it? Regardless of EuCon preferences.

It does seem like an expensive way to go about things I know - but I wouldn't be breaking the dock - I would be using it.
Sorry Justin, I misread your post. I thought you were referring to the Rec arm button next to the fader. Yes, the big Record button on the transport flashes red when you press it with the transport stopped and goes solid when the transport is rolling and you go into record. But note that track arming alone does not cause the transport Rec button to flash. You have to hit the transport Rec button in stop for it to start flashing. I think the reason track arm doesn't cause it flash is because you use the transport Rec button to punch when in punch mode, which usually starts with a play command despite tracks being armed. Make sense?
Old 10-18-2020, 09:38 PM

Don’t open a dock.

https://www.punchlight.com/recording_lamp_usb
Old 10-20-2020, 08:29 AM

If you are willing to open a dock and solder a transistor to the LED you might be willing to go a cheaper route:

nodemcu esp32 microcontroller and HUI library for arduino
you make a wireless MIDI connection and use the transistor and light you were planning to use with your dock.

If you want to stick with the Dock option I would recommend a optocoupler instead of a transistor...
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 10-22-2020, 02:36 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. I am already using a Punchlight product - the Punchlight RGB.

My frustration was because this unit would not show 'record ready' status, although the manufacturer's description said it would. I chased Punchlight about this repeatedly and, after telling me new firmware was 'imminent', they stopped responding to my emails.

However, just after I published a negative review on the distributor's web site, new firmware 'co-incidentally' appeared in my inbox.

The Punchlight RGB is now able to show record ready status in Pro Tools - albeit as a second colour, not by flashing as I would have preferred.

So I probably won't be dismantling an Avid Dock in the near future. However, the remaining problem with Punchlight's products is that, because they use the HUI protocol (and make Pro Tools think there's an eight channel control surface attached), I can't use my beloved Command 8 at the same time.

Much as I love my Command 8, I will need to replace it with a Eucon controller or similar so I can have a control surface without disconnecting the Punchlight whenever I want to use it... If the Command 8 had a light over its record button I would have hacked into the thing (I have a spare) and never bought the Punchlight in the first place!