Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2009, 12:50 AM

Default Re: PT8 Score Editor - change note duration

I think you are right to apply the principle of the rests here because it would seem that PT does not allow notes to be trimmed to values that would mean the bar does not add up. I say this because it does not always allow the changing of note durations.

That is a crazy way for the program to operate because I do want to add and change notes and rests to make it add up to the correct time. But I want to do it myself.

Very carefully I have added notes where rests were and successfully trimmed notes to the correct length, within the constraints of the bar adding up to 4-4.

Now there is a rest in between the last 2 notes that should not be there, and the rests at the start of the bar need to be lengthened and dotted.

How to? - delete a rest with out adding another note in its place, and/or change the duration of one of the incorrectly timed rests (including dotting) so that the other unwanted rest is removed from the bar to allow it all to fit?

As written before, this is not a great score editor and probably it is best to use the midi editor instead.

Instead, in the couple of hours since I last posted I have done 25% of my project in another program and will import it into PT to patch instruments etc.

I don't think there is much point continuing with this - unless someone out there can actually see what I am working with I fear this is wasting you good peoples' time. Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:00 AM

I have the same exact problem. I can't see the value of a score editor if it doesn't allow you to EDIT. I changed a note from a black to a white in the MIDI editor with the clipper tool, and the note on the Score Editor doesn't even repaint itself as a white note. This is just beyond unusable, unless I'm supposed to invoke a command to repaint the score?
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM

I'm having trouble using the trimmer tool as well. It works well in some cases, but in a couple of measures, I have one note covering an entire 4/4 bar except for the last 16th (dotted-half tied to dotted-eighth followed by sixteenth rest) and I just want a whole note, the trimmer should stretch it out to fill the measure, but it won't. Anybody got a trick for this? thanks.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:55 PM

Sladlow, don't feel bad. I can't seem to get triplets to work at all. If I go to the selector, do a triplet and try to write in notes, it won't put them in correctly--it will do 16th notes, even if I have selected 8th notes tripleted. The only way I've been able to get it to actually work is to play it while recording in real time. However, if I then copy the triplet and paste it into a new area, it never pastes into a triplet. So...I think this is actually bugged.

I still use the Score Editor, but I spend a lot of time fighting it. BTW, you can always use finale notepad and then import--it'll probably save you a lot of time (though you shouldn't have to since this seemed like a much hyped feature in Pro Tools 8).

I should add that I only have 8.1 since I have an Mbox and it isn't supported anymore.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:08 PM

This probably won't help you, but it may help others: Here's how to consistently do triplets:

Record a playthrough and hope it registers as a triplet.

Find out where that triplet is. Then, do a shift-click on the three notes starting with the first in the MIDI editor so that they are all highlighted and copy. They paste them IN THE MIDI EDITOR (for some reason it won't stay a triplet if you paste it in the Score Editor).

You can now securely do triplets. Whew.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:31 PM

To my knowledge the "Score Editor" was added to PT 8 as a "smoke and mirrors" type tool if you will. Or a 'rope a dope" type move by AVID to combat the ever evolving Logic series.

I don't think AVID meant for it to be taken seriously.

Only as a jester of "Wouldn't be cool if Pro Tools 8 did this"

Take it for what is worth.