Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Default Artist Series - How well does it control plugins

I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. Now with PT9 integration, how well does the Artist Series control plugins? My Procontrol does a great job of this, as does my 003, my old Command 8 was great as well. Mackie Control was horrible.

I've read that prior to PT9 it was not good, but need updated info.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Artist Series - How well does it control plugins

That was my big question too, since those four plus four parameters HUI could control were a PITA.
Today I received my HD9 upgrade, so the first thing I tried was the new plug-in parameter contol.

And......it's working better than anticipated.
They did it a little different from Logic's or Cubase's EuCon control: they didn't simply map out all the plug-in parameters to the rotary encoders, they're following a more logical pattern.

For example most EQ plug-ins I tried (MDW, Sonnox, Waves RenEQ, Q10, Pultec, V-Series etc.) always map the same parameters to the first 8 rotary encoders: LF freq, LF gain, LM freq, LM gain, MF freq, MF gain, HF freq, HF gain. The next MC Mix shows additional parameters like input/output gain, a 5th eq band, but it'll leave other controls empty that don't belong to the eq section (in the case of the SSL channel for example).

That way you don't have to search the desired functions for every other plug-in. The downside is that you have to switch the "freq" encoder using the "on" button to make it control Q, since by default there is no encoder controlling Q on the different eq bands.

One exeption i found is the Waves SSL channel, though: here the first page consits of LM Q, LM freq, LM gain, MF Q, MF freq, MF gain, HPF, LPF. The second page then has controls for the lo and hi shelving bands and the switches to bell. But again no dynamics controls on the eq pages of the plug-in.

I think this is really great news, it feels a little bit like using the EQ/dyn section on the D-Control. I'm happy!

Hope this helps,
Toby
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Artist Series - How well does it control plugins

Now, if they would add a fader calibration routine to the Eucon software, I'd be pretty happy with my two MC MIX. I might even consider buying a third one...