Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-08-2000, 09:37 PM

Default Time for BeOS

Now that Apple has given up making A/V machines in favor of milking the collegiate market, and Microsoft has opted to discontinue NT, what is the chance of actually getting a BeOS port of Pro-Tools? R5 had over 800,000 downloads the last time I checked and it would be shame to waste all those man-hours of coding just to port over to Apple's silly cocoa API when they could actual embrace new technolog. Hey, I love Unix as much as the next guy(I'm typing this on a linux box) but it is aging technology and is nearly as appropriate for media.

I know personally that I none to thrilled with the idea of continuing to indulge Apple's exorbitant prices for the next decade. Its true, Mac's used to offer wonderful functionality compared to the competition and thus were well worth the extra money, but this is simply no longer the case.

And I will be honest here, if Digi drags their feet on this too long, my studio will be going Otario or Sadie in the next generation.

-Paul Santa Clara
Old 05-09-2000, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Time for BeOS

Maybe Macs are more expensive than DIY built computers, but Macs are competively priced against thier name brand counterparts. The charge of exorbitantly priced Macs are no longer valid.
Old 05-10-2000, 07:57 AM

Hi!

Joe, you are right to some degree. But the fact of the matteris that Intel and AMD are now so far ahead with developing plain old brute force.

You know, I work with PCs everyday, network junkie, and my main problem is Microsoft. Some of the hardware is pretty good, although some pretty bad, but it has always been the operating systems that sucked.

The point is that, Intel and AMD are making leaps and bounds in pure speed and, although I use PT on a G3 and have seen G4s in action, but I no longer buy this **** of the Velocity Engine and other marketing blurb. Apple are not keeping up, plain and simple.

Digi need to watch out as well. Yes it is way ahead of a lot of the software that is out there. But, did you know that when NASA put the guys on the moon in 1968, the WHOLE of NASA had less processing power than a 386 pc. My point, high quality consumer electronics are no longer a pipe dream. Some low end stuff is catching up pretty quickly.
Old 05-10-2000, 05:52 PM

And, did you know that for the Mars Polar Lander mission a Cray supercomputer was used? We all know what happened to that.

BeOS is dead.

Regardless...3 guys leaving Apple is hardly enough justification to say that "Apple has given up making A/V machines." What do you want? Built-in S/PDIF i/o? If that's where you want Apple to take the next-generation Macs, then you are in the wrong conference.
Steven

PS I am quite confident that Avid/Digi are one of the key developers for OS X.
Old 05-10-2000, 10:24 PM

Tests using Photoshop as the benchmark test for how fast the PPC 450 or 500 gets work done vis a vis the Athlon or Pentium 1000 Mhz machines, shows that Apple is doing very well against their counterparts. Apple is expected to announce faster PPC chips soon and expectation for a 2000 Mhz PPC chip have been announced. The Velocity Engine doesn't really affect PT unless the software has been configured to take advantage of the Altivec chip.

The idea that Apple is being left by the wayside is an old story that has always been proven wrong.
Old 05-12-2000, 06:47 AM

Wasn't it '69?
Old 05-13-2000, 12:49 AM

What is this ongoing thing about Macs, Pcs and so on. Let's talk about the music we are making. Although the technolgy to make music has improved the music thats been coming out lately (all over the world) is not so exciting. I think the technolgy aspect of making music has overwhelmed us too much that we can't be so creative any more. What do we want next, a machine to compose for us? Lets not make a political issue about the technology so much, after all the computer makers are after making more money. Maybe we should talk about the record producers who don't have any respect for good music.
Old 05-13-2000, 01:04 PM

Networkers and Audio/Video workstation users have a few needs in common.

Reliability. Sssspeed. & More Ssssssspeed.

Cisco chose the lowly Motorola 68030 processor for its 2500 series routers.

System 9 will hardly run on anything less than a 604e! (Cisco's IOS is no whimpy string of code either)

I was just reading that Norton has added banner blocking to its hosts of features.

What has Java done for any of you lately? Or push technology? Now BeOS announces a week before the MS ruling...they are entering the internet appliance market. Hello?

The following week all of the major networks head for Menlo Park to interview BeOS founders- regarding their operating system.

I hope they reconsider their premature decision. OS-X needs a strong competitor.
Old 05-13-2000, 11:06 PM

kesserich : "Apple's silly cocoa API"
U mind backin up this claim?? How and why is OpenSTEP API silly?
I'd really like to hear your views on this particular.

Todays BeOS is pretty unimpressive compared to NeXTSTEP was 10 years ago.

I doubt Digi would port a Toolbox ProTools over to the much cleaner Cocoa API.I fully anticipate and expect Digi will re-code Protools from scratch using the Cocoa API's.

Before we start dissing Mac OS X and Cocoa ,lets just see what the following sessions at WWDC bring .

Starting Monday 15th of May 2000.

Monday Session:
1) Velocity Engine Acceleration of Audio DSP

Tuesday Session:
1) Proccessor Architecture : Velocity Engine and Multi Proccessing

Wednesday Session:
1) QuickTime : Interactivity
2) Quicktime : Road to Mac OS X
3) Mac OS X : Music and MIDI

Thursday Session:
None Pertaining to Audio.

Friday Session:
1) Mac OS X Core Audio : Multichannel Audio and Beyond.
2) Mac OS X : Audio Drivers

Im sure many Mac audio geeks greatly anticipate the yeilds from these sessions.

How many Digidesign Engineers will be attending WWDC??

Finally ,a question to kesserich. What is the logic in opting for a newer ,unproven technology in favour of a reliable ,solid ,mataure technology with great support??

TaRGØN
Old 05-17-2000, 08:19 PM

To the original post:

Umm, did I miss something here? As far as I know, BeOs is based off of unix(you know, that old technology you spoke of), has had so little success that it still has no real software support, and now has been written off as essentially useless for normal computing. Why the hell should digidesign put in money toward research and development towards something that fits the aforementioned description?? Can you say COMPLETE WASTE OF RESOURCES?? OS X has proven to be stable, modern and full of great technologies...it also (most importantly), is made by the computer company which happens to provide for most of digi's customers. The Mac is KING in pro audio, has been...and will be. Digidesign is putting their money where they need to be.

just my 2 cents