Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 07:32 AM

Default Should I upgrade?

Currently using PT 6.1 with MBox and OSX 10.2.6 on a PowerBook G4 867 with 640MB Ram. Had a couple problems with Unexpected Quits and -9136 errors but everything has worked fine over the course of the last 2 weeks or so.
So the question is: should I upgrade to Panther and PT 6.3? I am hesitant to try something new if everything is working fine now, but if it really soups up performance or something, I want to do it. Any thoughts? Anyone else using this configuration?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Should I upgrade?

if all your software works in panther, by all means go for it
Old 11-25-2003, 07:49 AM

IMO you answered your own question. If everything is doing everything you want it to then wait until Panther has been running successfully for awhile. Unless you want to be out on the bleeding edge let others do the Beta testing for you. Heck, I'm still in OS9 'cuz it works great and I can't afford to be down at all. Some folks are having great luck with Panther; wait until everyone is. Just my opinion, yours may vary. Peace.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:59 AM

I'm a bit hesitant too. Quick question here, for ex-Pro Tools 6.1.1 LE users on Jaguar 10.2.8, when u upgraded to Panther 10.3.1 and Pro Tools 6.2.2 LE, will it overwrite the existing 6.1.1 versions and its preferences? is 6.1.1LE needed somewhere on system to "upgrade" to 6.2.2 LE?

Wait!! i'm confused, we can't use 6.2.2 on Jaguar, rite? so, i should make a new partition, clean install Panther, and then install 6.2.2LE? will it touch or modify the 6.1.1LE in the Jaguar partition?

ok, maybe successful upgraders can chime in and tell us how u do it? is it even possible to keep a safe copy of Jaguar and 6.1.1LE that will not be affected by the 6.2.2LE and Panther 10.3.1 upgrade?

All I can think of is to use CCC to clone the existing Jaguar and keep it somewhere, then clean install Panther 10.3.1 and Pro Tools 6.2.2LE .. but if a previous version of Pro Tools is needed on disk (ie. 6.1.1LE on Jaguar) then maybe it will be "modified" somehow?

Please enlighten us, Panther-6.2.2LE wannabes !!
Thanks!!
:: www.tworooms.com
Old 11-25-2003, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Wait!! i'm confused, we can't use 6.2.2 on Jaguar, rite? so, i should make a new partition, clean install Panther, and then install 6.2.2LE? will it touch or modify the 6.1.1LE in the Jaguar partition?
I haven't upgraded yet, but I can tell you from Mac experience that this will leave your old system intact. The only thing I can think of that might conflict are those silly "Digidesign Databases" that get created on every drive when you start PT LE. As long as Panther and Jaguar are on separate partitions it should be ok.

Quote:

All I can think of is to use CCC to clone the existing Jaguar and keep it somewhere, then clean install Panther 10.3.1 and Pro Tools 6.2.2LE .. but if a previous version of Pro Tools is needed on disk (ie. 6.1.1LE on Jaguar) then maybe it will be "modified" somehow?

Considering that you are installing a completely new system, I can't see that you would need a previous version of PT to install 6.2.2. As long as you have a valid serial number you should be ok.

On a general OS/version note...the .x updates are usually large enough to merit standalone installers, so that new users don't have to get the older software (i.e. Jaguar 10.2 , Panther 10.3, PT 6.1, etc.). The .x.x updates are modifications to existing applications and are not generally standalone installers (i.e. Jaguar 10.2.8, Panther 10.3.1, PT 6.1.2, etc.).