Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-05-2000, 03:38 PM
Avid

Default Pro Tools Manual Suggestions

One of the common beefs that users have in regards to Pro Tools is its supporting documentation. Therefore, I would like this thread to contain suggestions on what you think we should add or make better to the manuals. I will then see to it that this information gets forwarded to our Tech Pubs department. All I ask is to please be as specific as possible.

I anticipate the feedback, so let's have at it!

Brent
Old 05-05-2000, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Manual Suggestions

Just having a hard copy manual is a BIG plus for me.

I've received a couple of emails from people reading this board asking me to explain to them how (in PTLE anyways) to extract the tempo of an audio region that they've imported - so they can then change it or set their session to that exact tempo.

In TDM, I understand you can just stretch the region to fit the tempo in grid mode, but in PTLE, you have to do it manually. The manual does have a section on this, but based on feedback I've received, it may need further clarification.

My own area of confusion is how and when to use the "Select Unused Regions" and "Select Unused Regions except Whole Files". The manual explains various selection methods for these functions, but not when they might be good to use, and in which order, and why.

Some step-by-step examples of how to "comp" tracks would be wonderful - using either playlists or multiple tracks.

For me, I thought the manual was pretty complete, technically. It could be improved mainly by providing more examples of "when and why" of the the many features.

Maybe a separate Reference Manual and a "Using ProTools" manual would make sense?

Please consolidate all those little manuals so I don't have to keep track of them.

Hey, if you do all of the above, I'll PAY for a new manual.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 05-05-2000, 04:16 PM

1) Time adjuster for a newbie is a F nightmare. it's not clear at all that you need to DELAY ALL THE TRACKS IN PT TO THE HIGHEST value of plug delay. This needs a total sympathetic rewrite from a studio engineers viewpoint.

2) the backup section is so scant as to be rude.

3) the record section is difficult to understand ie, can you trim back newly recorded stuff or what? The 'it's alway there' aspect of Pro tools aint clear at all.

4) the diff between AS duplicate and consolidate?

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 05-05-2000, 05:18 PM

Perhaps, use a different colored text when excluding features for various platforms or systems.

Often times..the way its written now...for TDM only is listed on one page as a header..then..it goes on for several pages..with even more headers..that are still for TDM only..without saying so. Its easy to think that For TDM only no longer applies.

At the very least..perhaps..add For TDM only to all headers that it pertains too.

To me..a Quicker way..is to use a diff color for it. Although..this will increase costs..perhaps that could be weighed in conjunction with the number of support calls you get dealing with...I can't get this to work on my 001.

Also, integrate all the subject matter with the example session. For instance..when you are describing regions..use the same sample session as your picture and refs. Same with all subjects. Use the sample session file.loaded up. This is what I think makes Adobe classroom in as Book so efficient for learning programs.

For the more advanced user, they could simply skip the "examples" with the session file..and read the description.

This would take advantange of existing materials..and..would quicken the learning curve. It also allows the new user to continue to pick up where they left off in the learning process as opposed to reading 3 manuals..then trying to remember what everything does when you start playing with the example session. Although I found Protools transport fairly intuitive, I think some of the editing features could benifit from futher example with the sample session.

ie...more of a walk through..than a description with hints..notes..etc.
Thanks,
dfc
Old 05-05-2000, 05:48 PM

Brent,

Thank you for such an open attitude. This is an admirable initiative.

What's the likelihood that Pro Tools would have a balloon-style help menu and/or a pdf manual? Many of today's program offer these options, sometimes recallable by a key combination (Digital Performer, for example, displays a short description of any window and/or button by shift-option-command-mouseover). It's very useful and may avoid books around the board.

------------------
Marco Marinangeli
Magelic Productions, Inc.
Compression Records
http://www.compressionrecords.com
http://www.compressionrecords.com
Old 05-05-2000, 06:03 PM

Physical changes:

1. Use a beefier ring binder.
2. Page tabs for easily locating different sections.

About content:

1. Devote a chapter in the beginning of the manual to new features, and cross index the topics to the appropriate chapters.
2. A Quicktime video, similar to the ProTools promotional tape only more in-depth, showing session setup, recording, editing, mixing.
3. Two extra sets of keyboard stickers.
4. Provide a .pdf copy in addition to the hardcopy

That said, I find the PT 5.0 manual to be written clearly and generally very good.
Old 05-05-2000, 06:40 PM

In the latest implementation (PT5) the separate manual for PTs and Plug-ins is somewhat confusing. They overlap quite a bit but some things are only in the plug-ins manual.
For starters I think they should be together.

jim
Old 05-05-2000, 09:18 PM

Secret key commands and real user tips.

A whole chapter on it. I used the software for a year before I really learned all the secrets so I can use it FAST....
Old 05-06-2000, 11:19 AM

Im a new PT user. For me the Manual are doing a good job. Thx for don't use "exotic" english words !! (Im not a native english speaker)
My vote goes to (the already mentionated) COLORS !!!
A distinct color for all plataforms related info, another one for TDMs, another for Windows, Another for Digi 001 etc...

Stickers ! an extra pack of key stickers would be nice.

Step by step User Tips section or a video !!!

Thx digi

------------------
-KIMJAZ-
Config: PT24, Adat B. I/O (2 cables), 02r, G4 400, Digidrive 9, PT 5, OS 9...
ps: sorry for my english !!
Old 05-06-2000, 01:55 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>
.pdf
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>