Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-10-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Suggestions for passive monitors

For a variety of reasons, I need to get some passive nearfield monitors, preferrably with 6 or 8-inch woofers (in other words, adequate bass handling capacity).

Any recommendations? Seems like almost everything is active/powered nowadays. I know the passive Dynaudios are supposted to be good, but those are out of the price range. There's some wiggle room, though. I'm thinking a couple hundred each.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for passive monitors

Hi There,

If you're looking for passive, try KRK's ST8 .
They are around $240 (Canadian) and sound really good for the cash.
Not too much hype on top or bottom.

As for cheaper actives, check out Behringer's "Truth" 2030 or 2031's.
They sound really sweet.
We had a pair but they tend to pick up radio signals.
The interference was minimal but annoying enough for us to return them and pick up the KRK's

Hope this helps,
Cobain
Old 09-10-2004, 10:48 AM

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Also, I know the Event 20-20 seemed to be pretty well-regarded in their day. I wonder how they stack up now. Anybody know?
Old 09-10-2004, 10:52 AM

There's a new ADAM passive for about $700/pair. I haven't heard them yet, but I've never heard anything bad about ADAMs.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:05 AM

Quote:
For a variety of reasons, I need to get some passive nearfield monitors, preferrably with 6 or 8-inch woofers (in other words, adequate bass handling capacity).

Any recommendations? Seems like almost everything is active/powered nowadays. I know the passive Dynaudios are supposted to be good, but those are out of the price range. There's some wiggle room, though. I'm thinking a couple hundred each.

Thanks for any ideas!
yamaha ns-10s. 500 for a pair on ebay. By saying you need nearfields, I'm assuming you have other monitors?
Old 09-10-2004, 11:24 AM

Actually, no, these will be it.

The issue with the passive is, they need to be hung from the ceiling and be able to be turned off (and on) easily. This is for a radio production room.

In retrospect, I'm thinking of maybe checking out the Mackie HR624s as well - they're faily light. I'd have to get a switch to turn them (or at least the signal) on and off. Anybody have experience with hanging the HR624s?
Old 09-11-2004, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Actually, no, these will be it.

The issue with the passive is, they need to be hung from the ceiling and be able to be turned off (and on) easily. This is for a radio production room.

In retrospect, I'm thinking of maybe checking out the Mackie HR624s as well - they're faily light. I'd have to get a switch to turn them (or at least the signal) on and off. Anybody have experience with hanging the HR624s?
no experience hanging them, but I'd say go for the KRK v6's. I never liked the mackie's...the bass doesn't seem right. I decided on KRK v8's over the mackie's with the 8" woofer and never looked back.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:11 PM

Honestly dude if you know what you are doing, and are at least a semi pro construction person, you can hang ANYTHING and make it work. Set up the right conditioned power strip, and,,---woahllah-- any monitor will work fine for you in this situation.

Therefore just get what you really want, what sounds the best to YOU, for YOUR reasons...

I will always recommend Genelec monitors because they sound so honest, and flat... But them NS 10's are also in every single big, pro studio out there.

One recommendation I have is unless you plan on later getting your "main" monitors later, and this is just a "get these for now" type of purchase, you may want to get the Genelec line that is a little inbetween a Nearfield, and a Main,,, they are still real small, and decently light, but what you'll get is more of a frequency range than those NS 10's or any other "Nearfield" considered monitor... And you'll have ALL you bases covered. Them little Genelecs have a real wide frequency range, going decently low for such a small speaker, therefore giving you a more well ROUNDED sound opposed to what your general nearfields can do.

Also since their new line just came out, you will be finding some good genelecs on eBay for cheap !!!

Hope This Helps--
Old 09-11-2004, 10:53 PM

For passive monitors-Tannoy makes some good ones. 1st choice-System 800, 2nd choice-PBM-8II, 3rd-Reveal. All can be found on ebay for very reasonable prices. My 2 cents-NS-10's aren't worth my 2 cents. Plus you can't get a recone if you blow a woofer. The reason they discontinued them is the pulp for the white cones is no longer available.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave