Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Default Sync 2 Pro Tools systems together

Is there a way to sync 2 Pro Tools systems together in a non PTHD setup? PTHD allows 2 computers running PT to sync using the Satellite feature and connected to a LAN but is there another way of that for Non PTHD systems? I have a MacPro (main computer) running PT9 with 002r and PC running PT8 with MBox. They're connected via midi however I can figure how to accurately sync them
Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Lightbulb Re: Sync 2 Pro Tools systems together

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyente View Post
Is there a way to sync 2 Pro Tools systems together in a non PTHD setup?
There are ways to sync them. How tight the sync will be is another matter.
Quote:
PTHD allows 2 computers running PT to sync using the Satellite feature and connected to a LAN but is there another way of that for Non PTHD systems?
Satellite allows for near sample-accurate sync.
Quote:
I have a MacPro (main computer) running PT9 with 002r and PC running PT8 with MBox. They're connected via midi however I can figure how to accurately sync them
If you want to sync via MIDI, you would use MIDI Time Code (MTC). Generate MTC from your MacPro and route that to a MIDI input on your PC and have that system chase the MTC. It won't be as tight as Satellite, but it might be good enough.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Sync 2 Pro Tools systems together

I have Midi but is there an alternative to midi? Whats the most accurate sync that I can get? I remember reading something about Midi over Lan meaning I could use my LAN connection for some sort of sync (but I dont remember too much about it).
Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 PM

yes, but it's still MIDI

ether clock the mBox from the 002 (SPDIF out to SPDIF in with the mBox set to digital sync) or clock both from an master clock

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 PM

This maybe a newb question but would i need to lock spdif and midi? Would the spdif be used for transferring (sending) the audio? I'm sorry but I dont quite understand the spdif clock or how it works.

At work when I need to sync machines i use the Satellite option.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 PM

spdif could send audio over but in this application it would be used as Sync Reference, this keeps the 2 rigs running at the same speed like black burst did for SD video decks

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-25-2011, 09:34 AM

Lightbulb Re: Sync 2 Pro Tools systems together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
spdif could send audio over but in this application it would be used as Sync Reference, this keeps the 2 rigs running at the same speed like black burst did for SD video decks
The MTC would be used to keep the systems running in time. Think of it as two cars driving down the highway at 65 MPH. If one car starts later than the other, but they both driving at 65 MPH, the distance between them (offset) will be constant. Sticking with the car analogy, spdif keeps your two pro tools systems (cars) running at the same speed. MTC makes sure that both pro tools systems (cars) are driving along right next to each other.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM

So I'd need 2 SPdif cables and 2 midi cables connected to both machines (002r and mbox2). What settings would i have to set in each PT system. The Master is running PT9 on a mac (002r) and the slave is running PT8 on a PC (PT8)
Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Post Re: Sync 2 Pro Tools systems together

Quote:
So I'd need 2 SPdif cables and 2 midi cables connected to both machines (002r and mbox2).
No, you only need one of each.
Quote:
What settings would i have to set in each PT system. The Master is running PT9 on a mac (002r) and the slave is running PT8 on a PC (PT8)
Set the master to generate MTC and set the slave to chase MTC and lock to its spdif input.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 PM

Changing the Clock source to SPDIF (on my PC) crashes it. Am I doing something wrong? I was told that if I want to sync 2 machines together I would have to send SPDIF and MTC (from my Mac aka Master) to my PC. I was told I had to do the following steps.

1. I should change the Clock Source to S/PDIF in the Hardware Setup menu on my PC.
2. Make sure that it reads S/PDIF in the clock source tab (in the Session Setup Menu)on my PC.
3. Select the Peripherals Menu\Synchronization and change the MTC Reader Port to my Midi In on my MBOX 2 on my PC.
4. Select the Peripherals Menu\Synchronization and change it to MTC Generator to my 002r Midi out on my MacPro.
5. Connect the SDPIF and Midi Out (from my MacPro) into the ins on my MBOx 2

That should work (or am i missing something)?