Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 LE Fails To Install On Brand New PC

I have just recently put together a new Windows-based PC running Windows 7 64bit after previously using a laptop with Windows 7 32bit, which ran my first legitimate copy of ProTools 8 LE. I've spent several days now trying to troubleshoot the program on a brand new, fast and compatible system when I had next to no problem installing it on my laptop, which was about 5 or 6 years old. I have tried numerous methods of installing and reinstalling to no avail - which has also unfortunately rendered my standard motherboard sound drivers useless in the process.

If someone could please save me some time trying to figure out how to make it work, it would be greatly appreciated.

Version of Pro Tools: 8 LE
M-Box: 2 Mini

Computer Specs:

RAM - Corsair 6GB DDR3 2000 Dominator GT
Motherboard - eVGA Intel X58FTW3 Intel X58 Chipset Socket 1366
Blu-Ray Player - LGE BH10LS30 Black BlueRay SATA LightScribe Writer OEM
CPU - Intel Core i7 i7-960 3.20Ghz Quad Core Socket 1366 8MB Cache
SSD Drive - Crucial RealSSD C400 64GB SATA III
Hard Drive - Western Digital 2TB WD2002FAEX SataIII Black Edition 64MB Cache
Cooler - Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
PSU - OCZ Z-Series 1000W
Monitor - LG E2060T-PN 20" Ultra Slim x 2
Case - Aerocool CyborgX
**Graphics card - Sapphire ATI RAdeon 6970 2GB PCI Express
(Note: Many people claim ATi runs -better- than nVidia cards, as reccommended in the specifications on this website. I do not foresee a problem with the graphics, as I purchased this card to suit my needs as a computer overall, and should not need to run up extra cost and tailor my personal choice of graphics processing for a program which focuses on sound. If someone could explicitly detail to me any problems with this, I may be able to find a solution granted legitimate reason is provided.)

Cheers in advance guys
Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 LE Fails To Install On Brand New PC

What version of 8? IIRC, the first version qualified for Windows 7 64 bit was 8.0.4.

A Sandra report wouldn't hurt either. See the General Troubleshooting thread and the Help Us Help You thread for that and other suggestions.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 AM

What version of PTLE 8? If I am not mistaken, isn't 8.0.4 the first version supported in win7?

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2023.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2023.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 AM

My version of Pro Tools is 8.0.3 ... although I'm completely unaware of how to get a newer version, I've just been running install off my DVD.

Sandra is also failing to launch...
Old 06-23-2011, 09:36 AM

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=393667

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 06-23-2011, 09:41 AM

FYI the initial problem was that my installation was hanging on "Installing Digidesign Hardware Drivers", so we got the Mbox 2 Family Drivers install of this site and uninstalled all the default sound drivers before installing the sound drivers on this site before running the install process again. It still hung on the same screen, so we then tried doing the samething but over the top of the re-installed drivers for my motherboard. At this stage we noticed that even they wouldn't work, after disabling a different combination of sound drivers in device manager etc... Next step was that we took all sound drivers off, and installed the Family Drivers before running the install process... we got to the same stage of the install and it hung, and my mate found that if we deleted the installshield processes we could bypass the installer's Hardware Drivers stage, which then gave us a version of Pro Tools, but when trying to run it, it started up for a fraction of a second and the process disappeared completely.

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM

My experience was the same. It would hang at the installing drivers portion.

BUT...I when I got pi$$ed and quit it after about 10 minutes (2 times) I read the damn dialog box that comes up when you first do the install, stating something like it is possible that installer may appear to freeze and the computer may appear to be hung up for 30 minutes or longer...paraphrasing there.

So I cleaned up the system with ccleaner and launched install again, except this time when it "froze" I went and got a cup of coffee and a sandwich. Came back about 45 minutes later, and she was waiting for me to click an continue anyway box, and we were off to the races.

I dunno if that will help ya or not, but if it looks like it is freezing up, that is what it was for me.

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
|

Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM

I've now run the update and I got a couple of problems during the installation:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1923/error1rs.png
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3357/error2f.png

Once I crossed them off it continued installation until the Hardware Drivers came back up again, and hung as usual, so I deleted the same processes in task manager... it finished updating and I restarted. My computer restarted to a series of error messages, so I restarted (I couldn't even screencap them and save them in paint, computer was pretty much unusable) again. Pro Tools still only runs for a fraction of a second before closing...

EDIT: I haven't run CCleaner as it IS a new computer with only a few games installed and some basic programs, but I'll try that. Also, patience didn't help me - I waited 11 hours overnight the other night and it still did nothing.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM

When I installed PT on my Win 7 machine, also using the Mbox2 Mini, I also had errors during install and had trouble loading the program. What fixed my issue was to install also the latest appropriate version of Pro Tools for my Win7 OS.

If you have 32 bit, get 8.0.4.

If you have 64 bit, get 8.0.5.

Once I did this I could load PT with no errors ( this also solved a nagging USB error I was getting).

I do have a new problem now though that perhaps you specifically can help with.

Can you tell me if after installation you have a "Mbox2 Mini" control panel found in Programs, Avid?

Also, does "Mbox2 Mini" show up in your Windows control panel in Sound and Hardware?

This info would help me on a similar post on this page..
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM

I have since removed all my avid sound drivers and software, ran ccleaner and attempted a fresh install, with the same hang (this time waiting about 5 and a half hours)...

Adwel, from what I remember, there was not a control panel, but it did show up on my list of playback devices and recording devices...

When you say you installed 8.0.5, do you mean you just ran the update before installing off disk? Because the problem I'm having is not being able to install it off my disk, I've even tried ripping the DVD and installing it via Alcohol 52%, which made little difference.