Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2022, 07:59 AM

Default Re: ProTools 2022 Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I suppose you are referring to me as the person so drunk on the Avid coolaid. Okay, I'll accept the reference. I do however recognize that there are things broken and features that can be added. That is why I pay annually for updates. I have given my fair share of complaining towards Avid for the same reasons you give. I'll be the first to admit that Avid is painfully slow to respond to changes. My point was that when Avid made the decision (good or bad) to partner with developers in Ukraine, they didn't anticipate that Russia would invade the country. Unfortunately it happened and now they are probably unable to get the development team to complete the planned updates on time. I for one am willing to wait a while longer (probably the coolaid talking). We all have our priorities. If Avid can not deliver, we are free to look elsewhere. There are many very good DAWs nowadays. In fact, as you mentioned, some of them have far more features than Protools. Give them a try. If you like them, simply stop paying Avid for the lack of updates to add features and bug fixes. Let your money talk.
Yes, I was referring to your comment. It doesn't seem right when someone asks a perfectly legitimate question like..."I paid money for something that I don't think I'm getting..." for people, like yourself, to make someone else feel silly, or idiotic for asking a reasonable question.

You asked questions in your comment. You asked them rhetorically as if there wouldn't be good answers when in fact, your questions were the silly questions. "Is there some function that you are waiting for? Is there a bug fix that you can not live without? Protools still works the way it did three months ago. We might just need to wait this out."

Although I answered your questions, they felt designed to make people, like me, who want more product because we are being forced to pay a subscription for old code. If new code is coming out, then it might be worth money. But to pay for nothing new is what was being complained about. Your comment made people like me and many others sound silly for wanting more. In fact, we are the reasonable ones.

Keep in mind. I'm not angry. I'm sad. Because I like Pro Tools. I like how Avid implements features. I don't want to leave. I don't want it to fail. I want it to win. It's sad to me that the only language Avid might understand is me leaving. It's sad because I don't want to, and it's sad that so many people on this forum bury their head in the sand and seem to think nothing is wrong instead of speaking up and complaining.

If you complain when nothing is wrong, you are a complainer. If you complain when something is very wrong and you are being treated unfairly, you're doing what is right.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:03 AM

Default Re: ProTools 2022 Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoemo View Post
Yes, I was referring to your comment. It doesn't seem right when someone asks a perfectly legitimate question like..."I paid money for something that I don't think I'm getting..." for people, like yourself, to make someone else feel silly, or idiotic for asking a reasonable question.

You asked questions in your comment. You asked them rhetorically as if there wouldn't be good answers when in fact, your questions were the silly questions. "Is there some function that you are waiting for? Is there a bug fix that you can not live without? Protools still works the way it did three months ago. We might just need to wait this out."

Although I answered your questions, they felt designed to make people, like me, who want more product because we are being forced to pay a subscription for old code. If new code is coming out, then it might be worth money. But to pay for nothing new is what was being complained about. Your comment made people like me and many others sound silly for wanting more. In fact, we are the reasonable ones.

Keep in mind. I'm not angry. I'm sad. Because I like Pro Tools. I like how Avid implements features. I don't want to leave. I don't want it to fail. I want it to win. It's sad to me that the only language Avid might understand is me leaving. It's sad because I don't want to, and it's sad that so many people on this forum bury their head in the sand and seem to think nothing is wrong instead of speaking up and complaining.

If you complain when nothing is wrong, you are a complainer. If you complain when something is very wrong and you are being treated unfairly, you're doing what is right.
I apologize if my posts came across as disregarding the point of view you were making. That was not my intent. The question I asked were not intended to make light of your concerns. I honestly wanted to know which features were of high priority for you and what bug fixes were most difficult to work around. For my workflow and work concentration, Protools is adequate, however I realize that for others it may not. It seems the narrative about the Ukraine war is not really of concern or is considered not relevant to Avid's deliverables. I thought it was, but that is just my opinion. I am willing to wait a while for the updates since it is not preventing me from doing what I need. Again, if Protools doesn't or can't do what someone needs. I encourage them to seek out a tool that does. Protools is no longer the only DAW for professional audio work. Just to qualify that remark, at one point I was so upset with Avid that I abandoned it and switched to another DAW. So, if I come across as an Avid coolaid drinker, I don't mean it in a negative way.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1

Last edited by Obsidian Dragon; 04-07-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:12 AM

Default Re: PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenaria View Post
While asking customers to “understand” imho Avid could offer some type of discount voucher or a free year of support voucher for 2023 at this point. I think that would be a reasonable ask that would satisfy most subscribers.
Have they actually asked us to understand? I can't recall Avid actually saying anything regarding updates / Ukraine.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-08-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Have they actually asked us to understand? I can't recall Avid actually saying anything regarding updates / Ukraine.

It is all purely speculation at this point. Avid could be out with an update tomorrow for all we know.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:01 AM

Yet more speculation, something is coming.. Synchro Arts released version 5.1.17 of vocalign this week, upon closer inspection the AAX bundle IS a Universal Binary, an Apple silicon native AAX plugin which uses Pace's new 5.5 protection. Universal Audio's new AAX bundles are also Universal Binaries. They are testing them on something!

Screenshot 2022-04-09 at 09.55.56.jpg

Old 04-09-2022, 03:54 AM

Is it the case that everything has to be native before you see the benefit? I'm sure I read somewhere that one plugin with Rosetta would be enough to compromise everything else.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:37 AM

Default PT 2022 release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
Is it the case that everything has to be native before you see the benefit? I'm sure I read somewhere that one plugin with Rosetta would be enough to compromise everything else.

It’s not a matter of compromising. If one plugin is not Apple Silicon native, then the entire app and other plugins need to run in Rosetta, so your essentially back to square one.

Some DAWs (Reaper comes to mind) can convert on the fly so that one plugin can be converted whilst the rest of the app and plugins can run native. This is definitely the exception and not the norm and I think it’s pretty safe to say, PT won’t be one of those DAWs that will do the conversion. I’m sure there’s a performance hit in doing this. Wouldn’t be surprised if you get better performance just running everything under Rosetta.

So from a PT perspective, you’ll either be running under emulation or if all your plugins are AS ready (and PT too) then you’ll be running natively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
It’s not a matter of compromising. If one plugin is not Apple Silicon native, then the entire app and other plugins need to run in Rosetta, so your essentially back to square one.

Some DAWs (Reaper comes to mind) can convert on the fly so that one plugin can be converted whilst the rest of the app and plugins can run native. This is definitely the exception and not the norm and I think it’s pretty safe to say, PT won’t be one of those DAWs that will do the conversion. I’m sure there’s a performance hit in doing this. Wouldn’t be surprised if you get better performance just running everything under Rosetta.

So from a PT perspective, you’ll either be running under emulation or if all your plugins are AS ready (and PT too) then you’ll be running natively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a disappointing answer, but I'm grateful that Rosetta 2 works so well. If you have a long list of plugins, native could be years away.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:01 AM

I've done a fair bit of research on this and being quite OCD I've made a spreadsheet! I have a large but curated list of plugins. The only manufacturers which have no clear road map for Apple silicon are Antares, Matthew Lane and SSL. Which in the case of Antares doesn't surprise me. Antares' copy protection is among one of the worst things I've ever used ever.

https://asaudio.tech is a super useful site for checking M1 compatibility.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbree View Post
I've done a fair bit of research on this and being quite OCD I've made a spreadsheet! I have a large but curated list of plugins. The only manufacturers which have no clear road map for Apple silicon are Antares, Matthew Lane and SSL. Which in the case of Antares doesn't surprise me. Antares' copy protection is among one of the worst things I've ever used ever.

https://asaudio.tech is a super useful site for checking M1 compatibility.
General question - is having a non-M1 plugin in the main plugin folder the thing that forces Rosetta, or does a plugin actually need to be loaded in the session force it? If it’s the former, presumably moving a rogue plugin to Plugins (NOT USED) would make the problem go away (assuming you can live without it for a while?)

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM