Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Focusing Bass Guitar Sound

Hey all -

I recently recorded a bass guitar track, and the performance was good, but the tone is just too round and wide. I've applied the Slightly Rude Compressor, and tried some EQing, but I can't seem to focus the tone and give it any punch. It may be the settings I'm using, but I just can't seem to get it there. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

-Scott
Old 03-21-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Focusing Bass Guitar Sound

The big questions are:

What instrument is it?
How did you record it?

Plugging a cheap bass direct into an Mbox is going to sound like crap no matter WHAT you do after the fact.
Taking the same cheap bass, plugging it into a cheap amp, and miking it with a cheap mike is going to sound bad too.

On the other side of the coin, a Fender bass through a decent to good tube pre with some light compression is going to sound pretty good just as it is, and will also be very easy to augment with processing such as Sans Amp, or various EQ and Compression combinations.

Another track, recorded simulaneouly through a good sounding amp, with a good ribbon mike, or a good LD dynamic (like an RE20), can be useful for blending with the direct signal.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 AM

You'll need to eventually emphasize some of the frequencies between about 160-220. Perhaps start with rolling off everything below about 40 and add a low shelf around 80-120 and nudge it down a bit. Try limiting after the EQ. That said, you'll have to use your ears as this is just my guess as to what might fix it.

fizbin
Old 03-22-2006, 06:52 AM

I can't recall whether the SRC lets you adjust attack and release times, but one thing you might try (as well as EQ) is playing with the attack and release times and compression ratio on your compressor. Combined with the right EQ settings this should sort out your problem. Can't be more specific without hearing what you've got, and there are plenty of threads here and elsewhere as well as articles and pages about compression.

P.S. If the SRC doesn't let you change attack, release and ratio settings (from memory -not a good one - my memory not the plugin - I seem to recall it doesn't) then try a different compressor. If you don't have a lot of plugin options then the bf76 often works well on bass.

Cheers,

HANSON'S RAZOR:
Never attribute to evil that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.