Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-09-2023, 10:14 AM

Default std::exception.

I recently bought a new macbook. After installing Protools Ultimate 2022, I tried to open a session I had saved on an external drive. I got this message "Could not complete your request because std::exception." I've opened this session on other systems. Does anybody know how to fix?
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2023, 11:55 AM

Default Re: std::exception.

Start by reading "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

Clear info might help. Like what exact model MacBook, running what exact macOS version? And Pro Tools 2022 dot what? there are multiple releases per year. 2022.10, 2022.12? The external drive is what make/model? connected how? Running exactly what file system? (APFS? HFS+ FAT32 NTFS etc?) The type of file system is important to know.

What was the details of the computer setup that saved this session?

Can you create new sessions and save them to your internal drive? to the external drive? And reopen them?

You can try dragging the entire session folder to your Documents folder on the Macbook Pro internal drive. See if that opens. Hopefully all the audio assets are in the session folder.

Try trashing prefs.

Try opening the sessions without plugins, hold down Shift while File>Open from within Pro Tools, or temporarily move all .aaxplugin files out of the Plugin folder.

Try repeating tests from a newly created admin user account.

If you can open the session on another computer you could try a Save Session In on that computer and see if you can open that new copy.

Failing all that you may need to contact Avid Support, they will likely want the Pro Tools log ~/Library/Logs/Avid/Pro_Tools*.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-09-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:39 PM

Default Re: std::exception.

And unfortunately std::exception is not a very helpful error. It's just the C++ standard library reporting an error the application is not dealing with.

But still if you search for that error message and something about opening sessions you'll see others have had this problem. Unfortunately folks don't always say if they were able to solve the problem or not. The forum search in DUC is pretty useless, best to use Google, and search for...

open session "std::exception" site:duc.avid.com

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-09-2023 at 03:07 PM.