Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-26-2022, 06:32 AM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

The real truth about the m1 Max studio is it's worse than a Mac pro with a lot of issues. I'm on the fence about returning it. On the upside it's cheaper than a Mac pro so there is that.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-26-2022, 06:39 AM

Just curious. Why do you say that? What is so bad about it?
Old 08-26-2022, 11:10 AM

It's probably 1/2 the processing power. Slower in almost every way. AU rendering is so slow compared to my 2019. That alone will cost me 30 -40 min a day. I wanted faster rendering not 1/2 speed renders.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-26-2022, 02:08 PM

On the contrary. I tried a mac studio max 32gb, 512gb ssd with
HDX in a tb2 chassis
3 displays via tb3 to dual HDMI plus built in HDMI
macOS 12
This config faired quite well.
My comparative machine, an updated 2010 5,1 Mojave 4tbssd boot 64 gb ram
Radeon rx 580 metal vid card.
HDX in Mac not chassis.

I did however return the Mac studio as 512 ssd was way too small for my work.
I am looking for a 8tb ssd version now.
Delays may have me waiting to see whats next.
T
Old 08-26-2022, 02:11 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
It's probably 1/2 the processing power. Slower in almost every way. AU rendering is so slow compared to my 2019. That alone will cost me 30 -40 min a day. I wanted faster rendering not 1/2 speed renders.
I haven't experienced that at all. I have an M1-Max in the laptop form and the M1-Ultimate in the Studio. The Max did everything my 16-core 2019 Mac Pro was doing and the Ultimate goes way past that.

My suspicion is that many people experiencing performance degradation with the M1 are actually hitting the wall of virtual memory paging. If you're doing things that require a lot of RAM--virtual instruments, convolution plugins, etc, this is quite possible. If you run the Activity Monitor on your Mac and select the "Memory" panel in the main window, then you can see exactly what's going on. If the memory pressure is high (graph at lower left) or if the "Swap Used" value is non-zero, then that indicates you're using more virtual memory than you have physical memory. Only solution is to reduce the amount you're using or buy a system with more physical memory.

If you run a lot of VIs, then you can lower the amount of precharge for the VI (that's the buffer memory for playing the first bit of the instrument). If you're running so many tracks or memory-intensive plugins that you don't have enough physical memory, then you've got to trade up.

A lot of people make authoritative comments about how much memory or CPU power is needed. That may be true for their own systems, but the true numbers are situational and depend on what you do in your own work. But Activity Monitor is your friend and will help you get to the bottom of the problem.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:05 PM

That is not true in my case. I work mixing TV. I bought the 64gb ram model. Plenty of ram.i same session. The 16 core 10% CPU the m1 max 33%. Really big session with a lot of ai realtime noise reduction. 16 core 25% CPU m1 Mac 50%. It's about 1/2 the power.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-26-2022, 07:25 PM
Development Partner

Quote:
That is not true in my case. I work mixing TV. I bought the 64gb ram model. Plenty of ram.i same session. The 16 core 10% CPU the m1 max 33%. Really big session with a lot of ai realtime noise reduction. 16 core 25% CPU m1 Mac 50%. It's about 1/2 the power.
Hey Brandon,
You still might want to take a look at Activity Monitor for a couple of reasons. For one thing, noise reduction can use a lot of memory. So you may be close to that limit. And it's also worth noting that Pro Tools and all of those plugins are running under Rosetta 2. There's always a CPU penalty when running under emulation, so it's not quite a fair comparison until PT is running native. Friday night here. Have a good'un.
Old 08-27-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
How is your latency performance with VI? For example, I load two different VI pianos (one of them a Kontakt, the other UVI), and I cannot reliably play them anything less than 256k. Not so impressed.
I don't use a ton of VIs, but I tried this morning. I'm at 1084 and can play Massive while Studio Drummer and FX7 are also instantiated and playing.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 08-30-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
The real truth about the m1 Max studio is it's worse than a Mac pro with a lot of issues. I'm on the fence about returning it. On the upside it's cheaper than a Mac pro so there is that.
Sorry to hear that. If you're open to troubleshooting, you'll discover that that's not the truth about M1 Max Studios, though I don't doubt that it's true in your case. Something else is awry. Until then, it's best not to give the impression that the many successes thoroughly reported by others are somehow something other than truthful.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Sorry to hear that. If you're open to troubleshooting, you'll discover that that's not the truth about M1 Max Studios, though I don't doubt that it's true in your case. Something else is awry. Until then, it's best not to give the impression that the many successes thoroughly reported by others are somehow something other than truthful.
I am doing real world comparisons. Side by side tests. It is snappy fast but can't handle as much at onces. So heavy sessions really stop it. It can run, in the real world, about 1/2 the session as my 2 other intel 2019 mac pros.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme