Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-02-2021, 11:47 AM

Default Upgrading to 2021.3 & Avid Support

Two things:

1) After downloading the 2021.3 upgrade and attempting to install, I got an error message that I needed to uninstall the previous version first. I've never gotten that message before and I really don't want to uninstall PT and reinstall it. I think perhaps I inadvertently installed the HD driver (my version is not HD) and that might be the reason. Is there a way to roll back that driver?

2) I created a support ticket with AVID 8 days ago asking this simple question. My case is still "in the queue." EIGHT days! Simple question! I tried using the "chat" feature online to talk to a person - got stuck in an endless loop. Then tried calling the number I wrote down sometime back for AVID phone support only to find that my annual subscription for PT software and support does NOT include phone support anymore (although the price recently doubled). I am seriously thinking about not renewing the perpetual product any more since I can't seem to get timely support. Is this unusual or typical for AVID? Suggestions/advice for getting real help from the company? I typically only have 1 support question (if that) per year. Not sure it's worth it.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Upgrading to 2021.3 & Avid Support

There should have been a ReadMe file explaining that and you are not the first to make the goof, so let's see if this will help

Right-click on Start and select Apps and Features. In that window, near the upper right, click on Programs and Features. Give this next window a minute to populate the list, then scroll down to Avid Pro Tools. If its there, follow these steps(if its not there, skip to B)

Right-click on Avid Pro Tools and select Change.
In the next Window, check the box to Remove Pro Tools and the HD Driver
Follow prompts to finish before running the new installer.

B
If you did NOT see Avid Pro Tools on the list, look for Avid HD Driver (64)
Right-click on that and select Uninstall

For future reference, while you probably don't need to uninstall before every update, DO uninstall before any update of a significant version number like this(and always look for a Read Me file)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-03-2021, 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=ouibjamn;2598426]Two things:

1) After downloading the 2021.3 upgrade and attempting to install, I got an error message that I needed to uninstall the previous version first. I've never gotten that message before and I really don't want to uninstall PT and reinstall it. I think perhaps I inadvertently installed the HD driver (my version is not HD) and that might be the reason. Is there a way to roll back that driver?

Yep... I had the same thing, but you just have to do it. It's a PITA but it went smoothly for me on Windows 10. It made me super nervous as I am in the middle of tracking an album so to remove Pro Tools and reinstall seemed a little risky
Old 04-04-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There should have been a ReadMe file explaining that and you are not the first to make the goof, so let's see if this will help

Right-click on Start and select Apps and Features. In that window, near the upper right, click on Programs and Features. Give this next window a minute to populate the list, then scroll down to Avid Pro Tools. If its there, follow these steps(if its not there, skip to B)

Right-click on Avid Pro Tools and select Change.
In the next Window, check the box to Remove Pro Tools and the HD Driver
Follow prompts to finish before running the new installer.

B
If you did NOT see Avid Pro Tools on the list, look for Avid HD Driver (64)
Right-click on that and select Uninstall

For future reference, while you probably don't need to uninstall before every update, DO uninstall before any update of a significant version number like this(and always look for a Read Me file)
Thank you so much. 32-page readme files about known issues are daunting, but you are absolutely correct. It was right there. I followed your instructions and everything works great. Much appreciate the help!
Old 04-04-2021, 06:25 AM

[QUOTE=knowtice;2598495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouibjamn View Post
Two things:

Yep... I had the same thing, but you just have to do it. It's a PITA but it went smoothly for me on Windows 10. It made me super nervous as I am in the middle of tracking an album so to remove Pro Tools and reinstall seemed a little risky
Thank you for this. It gave me the confidence I needed to go ahead and do the uninstall. Took about 30 minutes total and everything is fine. Appreciate the help!!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:24 PM

Hey just piggybacking off your thread, but did you have to reinstall all of your plugins? or were you able to just copy your plugins directly from the folder to the new installation?
Old 04-14-2021, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulg45bdn View Post
Hey just piggybacking off your thread, but did you have to reinstall all of your plugins? or were you able to just copy your plugins directly from the folder to the new installation?
Pro Tools installs do not touch installed third party plugins so you don't have to worry about reinstalling them.

PS: It would be very helpful when asking for help to post your system specs because things can be different depending on whether you're on a Mac or Windows machine.

QAPLA!
Old 04-14-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Pro Tools installs do not touch installed third party plugins so you don't have to worry about reinstalling them.
True. Although you should take a look if there is an updated 3rd party installer so old plugins are not left behind causing problems. I do this religiously every single time I update PT software.