Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 PM

Default Polyphonic guitar -> MIDI that really works

Hey guys,

I caught wind of this JamOrigin plugin a couple of weeks ago. Amazingly, it works. I was waiting (and waiting... and waiting.. and waiting...) for the Fishman Triple Play. Although this plug-in is not going to be as comprehensive as the Triple Play, it more than delivers the goods, especially for the price and considering you've probably got everything you need to run it already lying around. Check it out!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Polyphonic guitar -> MIDI that really works

That looks very cool. You've tried this and it actually tracks and converts well?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 AM

I installed the standalone beta and all I get is the "tink" of a toy piano. I obviously need to install some synth instruments - can you point me to a tutorial somewhere? There doesn't seem to be a PT plugin - what type of software do I need to load to utilize synthesizer sounds in their standalone?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Yo guys,

I bought the full software and have tested it personally. It tracks well, not perfectly but MUCH better than I had expected (and pretty damn impressive considering its no a hexaphonic signal and there is room for further improvement in the program).

I'm afraid there wasn't a tutorial anywhere that I could locate. If you managed to get the toy piano tink you are on the right track though. There is no AAX/RTAS plugin, it is VST only. However, I did manage to get it to work using ProTools. You need to install LoopBe. If you run MIDI Guitar in standalone mode, you can point the MIDI output route to LOOPBE INTERNAL MIDI, and use that as an input in ProTools. If you have any VST soft synths, you can load them in the Audio output/Instrument menu, putting an end to that awful piano tink :)
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the LoopBe info Adam. I assume I need to download virtual instruments from a site such as this? http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/so.../plugins/RTAS/ Once they're downloaded, where do you put them so the JamOrigin software can find them. Sorry for the questions, I don't know anything about VST.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks Adam for the reply. So it tracks fairly well. Or well enough for the fingerstyle stuff that they are playing in the demos.

I could see this opening up a few doors for us. And the possibilities for sonic abuse seem nearly limitless

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-26-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidEditor View Post
Thanks for the LoopBe info Adam. I assume I need to download virtual instruments from a site such as this? http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/so.../plugins/RTAS/ Once they're downloaded, where do you put them so the JamOrigin software can find them. Sorry for the questions, I don't know anything about VST.
Hey man,

VST is not supported within ProTools. It's a plugin format, like RTAS. MIDI Guitar has a built in VST host, so you can run it with a VST plugin in standalone mode. Using LoopBe, you can control any softsynth in ProTools (for example, xPand2, which comes with ProTools).

Because you can only use 1 ASIO device at a time, if you want to use it with ProTools you either need 2 soundcards OR the ASIO4all driver. If you just want something to fiddle around with to experiment, you can download demos of any of the Native Instrument synths and run them within MIDI Guitar.

I spent some time with it last night, had a blast fiddling with some pads and lead sounds. Can't wait for the next version, which is going to have pitch bend minor second intervals don't track so well though... I like playing some strange chord voicings from time to time so that's something I need to take into consideration, but hardly a deal breaker considering the price.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:20 PM

Well that's clear as mud LOL! It's all good. I'm going back to the tinking piano lol. It's fine I'll figure it out.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 AM

Not working very well here too.Its a tinking toy piano with latency and i also wrapped it as an rtas and it didn't work at all.However I'm sure the team will enhance this product and it will be a killer app to use once perfected.Im looking so forward to using this once it is perfected and complete.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybite View Post
Not working very well here too.Its a tinking toy piano with latency and i also wrapped it as an rtas and it didn't work at all.However I'm sure the team will enhance this product and it will be a killer app to use once perfected.Im looking so forward to using this once it is perfected and complete.
If you are getting lots of latency in standalone mode, most likely you have selected a non-ASIO driver? Might be worth a double check. I tried to run it in an wrapper, which crashed ProTools... didn't bother trying a second time.

I am literally getting what feels like zero latency on my end. It sounds like something not being set up properly on your end? To be sure, it's not bugfree. I have occasional problems with it forcing a 44.1 kHz sample rate on my AxeFX (which only runs at 48 kHz... making it unusable at those times).