Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 AM

Default Re: When are the updates coming?

Musicman691, thank you for your helpful reply, yes I do have other midi drivers on my system - for my Mackie control - I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxvmax View Post

Go on, persuade me...
I have no doubt that the designers of the product would have plenty of ideas to improve the product. Anything can be improved. Going on that alone and even disregarding current and potential customers requests can justify updating the product. I highly doubt that the designers will look at the current state of the Eleven Rack and say it's fully matured.

Giving access to additional parameters such as SAG, HUM, BIAS, etc won't be bad at all. Adding a stereo Impulse loader where you can load different Impulses in left and right wouldn't be a bad idea. Allowing external IR loading will make the product so appealing to many. When I load some of the impulses I already have using my PC, I discover truly stunning sounds and I say to my self, wouldn't it be great to be able to load the ten to twenty great sounding Impulses I have without dealing with the latency of the computer? That alone will improve the product beyond anyones' expectation.

The various differences between guitar woods, pickups string etc, calls for more variety in speaker simulations that will give the best result for an individual player. Speaker simulation is more than 80% of the tone according Cliff chase the designer of AXE FX, so he has that flexibility in the AXE FX. It costs less than 1 mgb of memory to be able to load tens of Impulses. Why didn't Avid bring this in the first expansion pack?? It's obvious they don't want customers to buy Impulses in the market from someone other than Avid. Couldn't Avid make their own impulses? They could if they were more concerned with something other than selling more copies of Pro Tools software.

I'm all for Avid making money, but they always remind me of the grocery store chains that sell milk cheaply and place it in the end of the store so customers have to walk throughout the whole store and shop for other things in the way (with recent giveaway of Pro Tools with Elven Rack or the other way around in mind). Eleven Rack to Avid is like the milk to that grocer. You don't improve milk, but they forgot that guitar players who want milk buy a physical guitar amplifier and those who buy digital gear are looking for more than just milk.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deansy View Post

Giving access to additional parameters such as SAG, HUM, BIAS, etc won't be bad at all. Adding a stereo Impulse loader where you can load different Impulses in left and right wouldn't be a bad idea. Allowing external IR loading will make the product so appealing to many. When I load some of the impulses I already have using my PC, I discover truly stunning sounds and I say to my self, wouldn't it be great to be able to load the ten to twenty great sounding Impulses I have without dealing with the latency of the computer? That alone will improve the product beyond anyones' expectation.

The various differences between guitar woods, pickups string etc, calls for more variety in speaker simulations that will give the best result for an individual player. Speaker simulation is more than 80% of the tone according Cliff chase the designer of AXE FX, so he has that flexibility in the AXE FX. It costs less than 1 mgb of memory to be able to load tens of Impulses. Why didn't Avid bring this in the first expansion pack?? It's obvious they don't want customers to buy Impulses in the market from someone other than Avid. Couldn't Avid make their own impulses? They could if they were more concerned with something other than selling more copies of Pro Tools software.
The amps are classic models and sound like they do shaped by whatever guitars you plug in - just like it would if you plug into an 'actual' amp.

Sag is already part of the modelling (those with valve rectifiers) - as it was in the amps used for reference. Now if you want to change the original sag characteristics, that is another thing - but in reality sag is governed by the circuit design of the amp being modelled. It's down to the internal resistance of the rectifier valves. The amp models without rectifier valves won't have sag - but then they aren't supposed to. I know that we can introduce sag into solid state rectifier amps by adding a 125 ohm resistor (or thereabouts) after the s.s. rectifier - but then where does customisation reasonably stop in what is meant to be a reasonably cheap plug in and go amp/cab emulator? Pp, single ended, altered cathode bypass values etc?

An impulse loader would be cool, I'd have it - but not really part of the brief. That is already available from companies like Redwirez and their models do take into account all those parameters like wood etc as they were there and part of the speakers/cabinets being recorded. I make my own impulses in order to speed/simplify recording of my own gear, in addition to using propriety impulse responses.

If Avid were to add an impulse response loader - it then move it into the area of the Kemper and ultimately the 11R is a useful but much more basic concept.

I would have an impulse loader if it was handed to me but I don't think it is fair to expect it as that was not really part of the concept.

I believe that the 11R is a cheap, but very good sounding classic amp emulator. Plug and play.

What you suggest, whilst a real 'upgrade' in usability, would put it into direct competition with Kemper, Fractel et al... It would of necessity be more expensive.

I am happy as the next person to have extra features in updates - but is it reasonable to expect it?

I still believe that the 11R does what it should and does it well for the money!

I'm still open but not convinced.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
I have no doubt that the designers of the product would have plenty of ideas to improve the product. I highly doubt that the designers will look at the current state of the Eleven Rack and say it's fully matured.
The designers don't work for Avid anymore, so it really doesn't matter what they think. Hiro is at MAudio? Chris has his own company that might be contracted by Avid.

I'm sure they've got coders there that can pronouce E-L-E-V-E-N, but all the design leads are gone as far as I know. I don't know the org chart mind you, so I could be full of crap.

Chris had IR loading almost already done before they shipped the ERXP. If Avid gave a rats a**, they would hire him on contract to finish the job and make that very simple update.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
;;;

I'm sure they've got coders there that can pronouce E-L-E-V-E-N, but all the design leads are gone as far as I know. ....
I know quite a few Avid employees have moved to Line 6 also. There's always a chance of a rogue Firmware that allows impulse loading, but Chris Townsend in my view is the key and if there's any secret sauce or Edge it certainly came from him.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:25 AM

Guys, new features or not, can we get some friggin bug fixes?! I would like to use my Bogner model or Dyn3 without having to resort to workarounds! Or how about them drivers?

There are some new features (custom IRs, shortening preset switch lag, spillover, standalone UI) which I do believe would narrow the gap between 11r and the higher regarded modelers; but I don't think it's too much to ask for properly functioning *current* features....?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM

TTT Please make a VST UI Avid!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
TTT Please make a VST UI Avid!
Bet that's not on the horizon

If anything they are pushing a AAX-x64 GUI

Then who knows
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Umm UIs are not normally plugin specific.

Not that I don't want to see a standalone editor. But the idea is that it works with pretty much anything. Kinda of like the control applet for your sound card or interface. As long as your application recognizes the drivers you should be good to go.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-01-2013, 09:29 AM

First reason I bought 11R is because of it simplicity, it's really like using a real amp and a real set of pedals with the big screen and encoders. I just want to plug my guitar and in 30 secondes get a good plexi sound (or whatever amp). I don't want to deal with thousand of parameters, if I wanted that I would have get an Axe FX...

The second reason I bought 11R is for recording a great guitar tone in Protools. Pretty easy also, and I can even reamp!!!

If there's someting Avid should really fix is for live use, giving us control of what's going to FOH and what's going to amp/monitor:
1- cab sim always on to main output (even with rig output no cab for amp outputs)
2- specific eq for amp1-2 or main
3- global eq