Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Open Letter to Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Imagine having spent >$1000 on this sucker.
Buying the Eleven without pro tools for under $400 is probably less than it costs to make it. As is today, it sounds and has better functionality than POD HD PRO that sells for twice as much as the Eleven. An update would be nice also but it's fair to say it's quite useable without the update...
Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonSolus View Post
A few days ago, i became very interested on purchasing an Eleven Rack after listening to a local fusion jazz player through it, and the sounds that come out of it bought me off almost immediately. Although, when I started investigating around about this unit, the alienation and lack of communication between Avid and the Eleven Rack User Community tremendously discouraged my urge to get my hands on this. I’ve gone through 15 or more pages on this forum and i don’t understand why so many inquiries regarding the future of the unit have not been answered as of yet (to my limited knowledge on the matter) and how a company of the likes of Avid virtually abandoned a product that even after years still sounds and performs incredibly up to par against today’s offerings.

Why Avid? Why not refreshing a unit that has aged so well with a new firmware update and/or even at the very least give it the promised and supposedly almost finished but never delivered IR Impulse loader? Why ignore your users? Shoot, you could even release the source code to the firmware so that someone who cares continues developing it. I’m not even an Eleven Rack and/or Avid products user as of yet, and will eventually end up buying an 11R anyway because I can’t justify an Axe FX and will not buy Line 6 gear ever again, but it bothers me that the community has been neglected in such an obvious way and surprises me that a group effort hasn’t been done to bring these inquires to Avid in a form of a petition letter or something along those lines. As I possess very limited knowledge on the matter, please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but from where I’m standing it seems this way.
Just buy it man! It's a great bit of kit and you will love it. You'll have a hard time finding anyone on the net saying that the 11R is crap sounding but....you will find a lot of folks saying "great" things about Avid in relation to 11R customers. Paid updates man! If Avid thought they could get away with charging for driver updates they would ;-)

So just get one, forget about who makes it, and you'll be fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
Buying the Eleven without pro tools for under $400 is probably less than it costs to make it. As is today, it sounds and has better functionality than POD HD PRO that sells for twice as much as the Eleven. An update would be nice also but it's fair to say it's quite useable without the update...
Look at my join date and post count. I bought the 11R when it first came out and paid for the expansion pack.

I don't think you're arguing with me and I think we both have bookended perspectives on the 11R's cost.

Yes, it's a GREAT deal TODAY! Those early adopters who spent >$1000 have watched Avid mis-manage the used cost down to $350.

And to say you're right another way - Avid has basically mis-managed this box into having to GIVE IT AWAY with pro-tools. (see what I did there? ;-) )
Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Avid has basically mis-managed this box into having to GIVE IT AWAY with pro-tools. (see what I did there? ;-) )
I agree, I think they're more interested in selling Pro tools as it's very likely that their data tells them, those who buy pro tools are likely to spend more on plugins shortly after + paying to upgrade.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM

tHANK YOU, i agree - MISERABLE SUPPORT...WHERE IS pt 8.0.1 SO I As REGISTERED USER CAN COMPLETELY PURGE pt ALL, AND RELOAD (CAN'T SINCE THE pt REPLACEMENT DISK HASN'T ARRIVED AND why DID I NOT FIND A LINK FOR A COMPLETE FRESH INSTALL 8.0.1 SO I COULD GET IT IN, AND START THE FUN PROCESS OF UPDATES AND FINALLY AFTER 3 WEEKS OF OWNING THE EXPANSION UPDATE...STILL NOT ABLE

Here is the response i got today for the INCREDIBLE latenciy for getting a stinking disk that in essence is keeping my eleven rack prehistoric...cuz of the interactions and required garbage that avid WILL not put up; a downloadable 8.0.1

SO I ORDERED THE REPLACEMENT DISK ON THE 3RD NOW THE 16TH.

THEIR REPLY
Backup discs are shipped by regular mail and delivery times can vary
> depending on your location. This replacement discs cannot be tracked. If
> you don't receive your disc within 4 weeks of your purchase date, let us
> know and will send you another copy. 9I LIVE IN WASH STATE...A REAL STRETCH FOR POSTAL SERVICE I GUESS EH? Damn keyboard.....

avid...it's imperative that you shape up in the customer service area ASAP. outrageous up to 4 weeks in the USA? if i needed it i would be forwarding the wasted time as a bill and pursue damages....absolutely unacceptable customer "service"

OoPS caps sorry ..freaking eight computers here and not one has the same keyboard

vid needs to correct incredibly bad latencies like 4 weeks for a WORKING studio...unacceptable please forward to the appropriate folks

also you might suggest they put the link up for us legit registered owners to download instantly instead of up to a 4 week + wait -what a freaking travesty in 2013...you should merge with microsoft.

Thank you -= Rollo

Genius hath electric power which earth can never tame. Bright suns may scorch and dark clouds lower, It's flash is still the same.
-Lydia Maria Child
Old 07-16-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Shaak View Post
tHANK YOU, i agree - MISERABLE SUPPORT...WHERE IS pt 8.0.1 SO I As REGISTERED USER CAN COMPLETELY PURGE pt ALL, AND RELOAD (CAN'T SINCE THE pt REPLACEMENT DISK HASN'T ARRIVED AND why DID I NOT FIND A LINK FOR A COMPLETE FRESH INSTALL 8.0.1 SO I COULD GET IT IN, AND START THE FUN PROCESS OF UPDATES AND FINALLY AFTER 3 WEEKS OF OWNING THE EXPANSION UPDATE...STILL NOT ABLE

Here is the response i got today for the INCREDIBLE latenciy for getting a stinking disk that in essence is keeping my eleven rack prehistoric...cuz of the interactions and required garbage that avid WILL not put up; a downloadable 8.0.1

THEIR REPLY
Backup discs are shipped by regular mail and delivery times can vary
> depending on your location. This replacement discs cannot be tracked. If
> you don't receive your disc within 4 weeks of your purchase date, let us
> know and will send you another copy. 9I LIVE IN WASH STATE...A REAL STRETCH FOR POSTAL SERVICE I GUESS EH? Damn keyboard.....

avid...it's imperative that you shape up in the customer service area ASAP. outrageous up to 4 weeks in the USA? if i needed it i would be forwarding the wasted time as a bill and pursue damages....absolutely unacceptable customer "service"

OoPS caps sorry ..freaking eight computers here and not one has the same keyboard

vid needs to correct incredibly bad latencies like 4 weeks for a WORKING studio...unacceptable please forward to the appropriate folks

also you might suggest they put the link up for us legit registered owners to download instantly instead of up to a 4 week + wait -what a freaking travesty in 2013...you should merge with microsoft.

Thank you -= Rollo
If you registered your Eleven Rack and Pro Tools with Avid, you should have a download link for Pro Tools in your "My Avid" account...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Ok so I bought eleven Rack for 700 from an online retailer and got the two years warranty. I sold pro tools 10 and got 8.05 from ebay for about $30. Net out of pocket cost was 350.
At this price I'm tempted to buy another one just for the hell of it because I know the parts cost more, or as backupt based on the satisfying sounds I'm getting.

Avid might be an Evil empire with Darth Vader running operations, but all I care is about the sound and if I didn't like the sound I wouldn't use it if you give it to me for free. I have an HD500 and Eleven is way more realistic and satisfying. So I did like line 6 as a company (until recently), but the HD500X the latest is no match in sound quality to Eleven. Am I supposed to use the HD just because I get a few updates here and there and line6 is a more guitar friendly company? With every update, I had to rework my patches.

Now I see hope if more eleven are sold now that pro tools can be sold separately from the bundle. If updates aren't forthcoming, I can live with the sounds I'm getting for a good while.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Avid

Post Re: Open Letter to Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Shaak View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting the disc (though I only see an order in your account from 7/16). Please check your email - I sent you instructions on signing into your account to download the installer.
Thanks,
-jc
Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting the disc (though I only see an order in your account from 7/16). Please check your email - I sent you instructions on signing into your account to download the installer.
Thanks,
-jc
NOW, that's service........................................... .............
Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 AM

I don't entirely agree but I know where you are coming from. Bugs and "issues" should definitely be addressed ASAP but, from what I've heard from many other happy 11R users, "it ain't broke, so don't fix it!".
I've just ordered an 11R and I'm waiting (excitedly) for it's arrival. Up until now, I have been mainly a long term Line 6 user (but also ZOOM and M-Audio Black Box). The Line 6 gear is not bad value for the money and overall, sounds pretty good, but the reliability of the gear is a real downer. From what I've heard and read if you want the most realistic and dynamic amp sims you've got 3 choices: 11R, Axe FX or Kemper. I can't afford (or justify) an Axe FX or Kemper so the 11R won out. As a long time Pro Tools user, the integration between PT & the 11R was a bonus.
But getting back to the point, if the sound of the 11R is what I'm after, I don't really care if they bring out a new version for 3 reasons:
1/. The 11R sounds and feels great and really, the Axe FX at 3-4 times the cost doesn't sound 3-4 times as good
2/. If Avid bring out a new 11R, that may mean the end to all future firmware and software updates for the existing 11R
3/. If a new 11R comes out, the 2nd hand value of my 11R will drop dramatically - not that I intend on selling it but if my wife finds out that the shiny new orange "thingy" in the music room is new, I may have to sell it to save the marriage!
I personally think we get caught up in this endless technology update cycle when, in some cases, the upgrades are not really necessary. I still have audio gear in my rack that's over 20 years old that I not only use regularly but like the sound!
So I have decided (after buying the 11R) to jump off the upgrade merry-go-round for a while and just enjoy the great gear I've already got - except maybe for that shiny new "thingy" I saw last week........