How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 AM

Default FWx and Venue???

This is one to everyone...

I read somewhere on the digi site that in 2005 the FWx card in Venue systems was going to support 32 channels?! Now is it 16in and 16 out simultaneous or is it 32 in/0 out or is the system still only 18i/o? I'm only curious because i was going to book one for a gig to take it for a test but only 18 channels Record... Have had to go with the Roland Vmixing system and (thumbs down) cakewalk PC instead because that way i can get my 32 channels and waste a few if i feel too.

I'm crapping on a bit but any push forward with 32 channels into LE from the FWx? We can all make that happen for most acts. Will it appear with PT 8 or was it a broken promise?

Cheers!
PS: 1 Day i will find a client who will pay to have this on a show so i can see how it fairs
Old 11-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Avid

Default Re: FWx and Venue???

Hi,

The FWx FireWire connection is currently 18 in, 18 out simultaneously. More tracks are obviously preferred, so the challenge for us (and any company with finite engineering resources) is balancing the development cost against the immediate need, as well as against all of the other hardware and software features we're being asked for. At best it's a tough balance that's nearly impossible to get right for 100% of customers 100% of the time.

For a bit of historical perspective, some of the things that have been given priority are:
- making 18 tracks of FWx work on both Mac and PC (originally it was PC only...and we all know how well that would have been received )
- developing the Pro Tools TDM HDx interface to allow up to 128 tracks
- designing the popular VENUE Profile control surface and new Mix Rack

...and so on. Looking back, I think these were the right decisions, tough as they were to make.

So to answer your question directly, no, Pro Tools 8 will not unlock additional FWx tracks or functionality. I wish it was as simple as changing "18" to "32" in a few lines of code and presto - 32 tracks of FireWire just works! If it was, we'd be there already, believe me.

Sheldon
Old 12-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi Sheldon,

This would be truly AWESOME upgrade, if it could happen. I would really like to see it. I am not sure how many other people are using this card right now, but it would sure be handy.

Thanks,
Nicolas
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi,

The FWx FireWire connection is currently 18 in, 18 out simultaneously. More tracks are obviously preferred, so the challenge for us (and any company with finite engineering resources) is balancing the development cost against the immediate need, as well as against all of the other hardware and software features we're being asked for. At best it's a tough balance that's nearly impossible to get right for 100% of customers 100% of the time.

For a bit of historical perspective, some of the things that have been given priority are:
- making 18 tracks of FWx work on both Mac and PC (originally it was PC only...and we all know how well that would have been received )
- developing the Pro Tools TDM HDx interface to allow up to 128 tracks
- designing the popular VENUE Profile control surface and new Mix Rack

...and so on. Looking back, I think these were the right decisions, tough as they were to make.

So to answer your question directly, no, Pro Tools 8 will not unlock additional FWx tracks or functionality. I wish it was as simple as changing "18" to "32" in a few lines of code and presto - 32 tracks of FireWire just works! If it was, we'd be there already, believe me.

Sheldon
Sheldon-

Is it too much to hope for that an entirely hypothetical new, smaller mixer (we'll nickname it the Sound Console 48) will be able to handle more than 18 channels to and from Pro Tools LE?

My church would likely be very interested in such a console, but that interest is much stronger if the PTLE channel count is closer to 32 than 18, as my primary use would be recording services for use as training for our sound people. 18 channels is really sparse for that, but there's no way I'll be able to find money in the budget for a Profile and an HD rig.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
I wish it was as simple as changing "18" to "32" in a few lines of code and presto - 32 tracks of FireWire just works! If it was, we'd be there already, believe me.
what about those few specific versions of pt that allowed 32 i/o with an m-audio interface by accident?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Avid

Hi James,

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Drake View Post
what about those few specific versions of pt that allowed 32 i/o with an m-audio interface by accident?
Not all FireWire devices use the same hardware and software, which explains why different products have different capabilities.

Sheldon