Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-05-2021, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Feature Request: New UI and Ribbon Menu

Its almost a given tho, that company's that design something brilliant, immeadiately start to figure out ways to destroy it...i dont know why.......
Old 01-05-2021, 12:46 PM

Imagine looking at a mess like that trying to work with an artist! Ugh! Horrible!

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:42 PM

The thing nobody asked for or wants...

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 01-05-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarAstarot View Post
I feel sorry for how pathetic your comments
Thanks for your pity.

Quote:
Microsoft invent the ribbon menu to improve the user experience,
Cool, after I get finished learning about UI from Microsoft, maybe I'll ask Trump for medical advice next. ("It shines the light inside its body...") Oops sorry I'm late for my jazz harmony lesson with Sid Vicious, brb...

Quote:
The ribbon menu speeds up the choice of items

(... deleted epilepsy-inducing PowerPoint slideshow created, apparently, by a used ribbon salesman ...)

obsolete vertical menu that in Photoshop for example is longer than the width of my monitor, a crap.
a) You're aware this is a Pro Tools forum, right? The menus are not very long.
b) learn key commands

Quote:
Huzzam, I invite you to use Sibelius 7 for 30 days and then tell me the results.
I used Sibelius 7 for two years, after Sibelius 6 wouldn't install on my newer system. I cursed it every time I wanted to do literally anything. It literally drove me to Lilypond. Try MuseScore for an hour, customize the interface so what you actually want is always visible, and you'll never want to use Sibelius again.

Quote:
I am sending you an example of what the tape menu can do, if many want to continue living in prehistory:
Man, seriously... is 3M paying you to sell ribbons or something?
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 01-06-2021, 05:00 AM

As has already been said, PT's GUI is its strong point.
Everything is there already on the one screen, or most things anyway.
We don't need ribbon menus cluttering everything up!
Personally I find the ribbon menus in Word very counter intuitive.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:10 AM

The UI failure that is Windows ribbon menu used as an example of a good UI??? Just WTF.

Did I oversleep, it must be April First.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
as has already been said, pt's gui is its strong point.
Everything is there already on the one screen, or most things anyway.
We don't need ribbon menus cluttering everything up!
Personally i find the ribbon menus in word very counter intuitive.
+100000000000000000
Old 01-06-2021, 08:35 PM

huzzam
Thanks for your pathetic and miserable life, go play minecraft.
Denounced for disrespecting me!

Cheesehead
The counterintuitive Word menu, tell Autodesk, and Siemens who develops Solidworks, Jajajaja.

THE RIBBON MENU IS INMINNENT, IT'S IMMINENT, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, EVERYONE LEAVE HERE AND STOP TROLLING ME BECAUSE I WILL REPORT YOU ALL.

IF YOU WANT TO FIGHT GO TO ANOTHER PLACE, ALL OF YOU ARE ABOVE HERE.

LIST OF SOFTWARE USED BY DIFFERENT TYPES OF INDUSTRY

AUTODESK AUTOCAD - ARCHITECTURE

AUTODESK INVENTOR - 3D MECHANICAL DESIGN

AUTODESK INVENTOR NASTRAM - THERMAL SIMULATION AND CNC VIBRATION

AUTODESK NAVISWORKS - 3D MODELS REVIEW FOR ARCH, ENGINEERING AND CONTRUCTION

AUTODESK REVIT - ARCHITECTURE AND BIM

DASSAULT SYSTEMS SOLIDWORKS - ENGINNERING SYSTEM

PTC CREO - PARAMETRIC DESIGN

MATLAB - MATHEMATIC IDE

Old 01-06-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarAstarot View Post

huzzam
Thanks for your pathetic and miserable life, go play minecraft.
Denounced for disrespecting me!

Cheesehead
The counterintuitive Word menu, tell Autodesk, and Siemens who develops Solidworks, Jajajaja.

THE RIBBON MENU IS INMINNENT, IT'S IMMINENT, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, EVERYONE LEAVE HERE AND STOP TROLLING ME BECAUSE I WILL REPORT YOU ALL.

IF YOU WANT TO FIGHT GO TO ANOTHER PLACE, ALL OF YOU ARE ABOVE HERE.

LIST OF SOFTWARE USED BY DIFFERENT TYPES OF INDUSTRY

AUTODESK AUTOCAD - ARCHITECTURE

... etc this text is too big
I'd be willing to bet that all of these industries have significantly different workflows that could benefit from a ribbon style menu. I like many people here like ProTools's UI the way it is. And so do many people in Post amoung other fields (i.e. ProTools's proverbial money makers). Plus I'm not sure even if a UI redesign was needed (which I'm not in favor of), that AVID would make good decisions about how a new ribbon UI would work in ProTools. I would guess that it would be a hot pile of garbage based on their attempt in Sibelius. Which the video I cited clearly explains the issues with AVID implementation of the ribbon design there, to which I agree. And finally, to tie it back to my opening sentence, just because other industries use the ribbon design doesn't mean it will work well for a DAW workflow. I don't think a ribbon design (even if done well) would improve the UI of ProTools much less if it is done averagely which would then detract from the current efficiency of ProTools's UI.

Also, what the heck! Why are you lashing out? Do you own the IP for the ribbon design or something? No need to attack people here. And I'm pretty certain you aren't going to find a lot of people here who will agree that ProTools need a ribbon design. So you are going to be arguing with people who likely won't agree with you. Do we have to agree with you. I certainly don't remember in the TOS for this forum that I must agree with dissenting opinions. So... no, people don't need to agree with you, or me for that matter.

EDIT
And, will big text make your point better?

Oh, and you mention that Huzzam (sorry if I got the name wrong) should use Sib 7 and see if they like the ribbon better. I have used Sibelius since Sibelius 6 (i.e. 6, 7, and then 2018). And the ribbon is absolute garbage. I really never use it, I have to search for everything. And I continually have to look for even regularly used elements (i.e. text elements and other similar object as they are in that massive useless drop down menu, but not all of them so sometime I mis-remember where the thing is I'm looking for so I have to go look in the other drop down, it's just awful. But as Tantacurl said in his video, the Sibelius implementation of the ribbon isn't really how the ribbon is supposed to work). Word is a good example of how the ribbon is supposed to work. But Microsoft has had quite some time to refine their implementation of the ribbon so the ribbon you propound as an exemplary use of the ribbon design has had at least 5 years of legitimize refinement. Don't expect an AVID designed ribbon to work so well if they were to implement it. Which again I want to be clear, I do not support. (AVID if you are reading this, no ribbon in ProTools, or at least not one that we can't turn off). Ok, my ramble is over.

Last edited by falcowe; 01-06-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:27 PM

I got tons of work to do, i dont need to relearn the SAME SOFTWWARE at this point......thats dumb. WHAT I DO NEED, is for AVID to assign me team leader on the project to fully actualize the clip bin/workspace integration, with fully vetted say over every nuance. For 1$ a year salary, , Ill DO IT! it'll be my Sistene chapel -like gift to mankind.