Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 08-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Default Would you buy a 48 fader ProControl rig now?

Hi everyone,
I've been doing 50 plus track mixes for the last 4-6 months and I'm getting tired of "mousing" around all day. I've found a decent deal on a PC main unit with 3 fader packs for $5000. I believe the price is right but I'm really concerned about the future software support from digi. Especially after reading a Digi Tech's response to the PC on this forum that said the statement below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo
My dealer told me that the Procontrol is no longer supported by Digi...Does this mean it could get dropped completely and at some point will not work with future updates ???
That possibility does exist, yes.

So with that said, I'm considering selling some nice guitars to make this deal but I'll wait because the value of these older guitars is steadily rising. I'm currently using PT 7.4cs6 on a G5 dual 2.3ghz. It's been rock solid for the last two years and that's why I haven't attempted PT8 yet. However, if you all don't mind. Your comments about purchasing a large PC rig now or passing because of future software support, pleas chime in.
Thanks!!
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 08-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Would you buy a 48 fader ProControl rig now?

The pro control is a nice unit, I think having an edit pack is more useful than 3 fader packs myself, but it depends on what you're going to do with it. Clients tend to be impressed by large consoles, especially when they see the faders moving around.

The most interesting thing to me is how low the price of the used pro control has gotten to, and how high the price of a used control 24 has remained.

I think you need to put a value on your time to justify it. If you're going to keep your current PT rig for a few years, and you have enough work where the pro control will save you time, then it makes sense. The other reason is the wow factor with your clients, who I doubt will care if it doesn't work with pro tools 9.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 AM

PC has banking problems with PT 8.0; read my previous posts. However Digi says they are working on a fix but no time line. I have PC 32+Edit. It is great!

M
Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM

Thanks maxtn! I'm going to go for it. Oh, I forgot to mention it also comes wit the Argosy console with the hardwood side panels that will house the PC main unit and 3 fader packs! For $5k paid to a very reputable studio owner, I can't be going wrong.
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL
Old 08-03-2009, 02:11 PM

good price
just be aware of some of the little things (oxidized power connectors, PSUs that need to be recapped, the e-pot upgrade for CR volume)

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-15-2009, 05:46 PM

Go for it ! There's is nothing out there that can beat the integration of the PC and Protools...and the price of the unit has come down so much that it's a no brainer. I have a PC + Edit + Fader pack and the Icon and believe it or not, i actually prefer the PC to the Icon D-Command.