Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2003, 09:45 AM

Default DSP Usage?

I am using a Mix 24|plus system running ProTools 6.1 on a G4/Dual 1Ghz machine. When you pull up System Usage and it gives you how much DSP is being used, I have 2 or 3 bars open on both my core and farm cards and when I go to add a plug-in, it tells me there is not enough free DSP along with an error code. When I click on any of the open bars it goes read and says "allocated". If I boot back into OS9 and run ProTools 5 and bring up the system usage, I am able to completely fill up the DSP usage with pluggins without any problems. Is this an OS X issue, ProTools 6 issue or am I missing something? I have trashed prefs / rebooted and looked for every possible setting and I can't figure out what is up. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanx!
[email protected]
Old 10-15-2003, 02:13 PM
Avid

Default Re: DSP Usage?

Hello,

Some plug-ins require SRAM chips. Plug-ins like Reverbs, Multiffects, etc will require SRAM chips to run. Each Mix card has 6 DSP chips per card. Of these 6 chips 3 can be used for the above mentioned or similiar (reverb, mutli-effect) plug-ins. The other 3 chips can be used for compressors, eqs, etc. If you would like to confirm what plug-ins require SRAM chips, check System Usage from the Windows menu in Pro Tools. SRAM chips are the 1st, 4th and 5th chips on all Mix cards. Try instantiating a DigiRack compressor and see if it will instantiate on one of the chips that are not working. Mostlikely the plug-in you are trying to instantiate requires an SRAM chip and there is none available.

Mike